What did you do with your XS today?

Moooore electrical. Im cutting and hacking out the half stock wiring that someone else half eay butchered. About 1/8 the way done.:banghead:

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• 2012-06-13_18-50-28_775.jpg
    2012-06-13_18-50-28_775.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 236
  • 2012-06-13_18-49-54_377.jpg
    2012-06-13_18-49-54_377.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 246
Hit my first 1000miles on the crap tracker, not bad for a few months of riding.

rode back and forth and back and forth and back and forth to the car part store to try to sell my old white miata. And remembered why I started riding the bike and leaving the car in the driveway!

Today we had a beautiful day, streets were full of bikes, so I take my xs for a ride, just to stretch her valves :bike:

Did my carbs for the first time: no more leaky floats! 140's (2 up) weren't enough for straight pods though. Ordered 145's and 150's for a total of $42 (I don't know why some guys think these are cheap) $14 to ship an envelope just doesn't seem fair. :(
A pair of 47.5 pilots may be too much (I know what you're thinking, but I found 'em for $6 so I had to try), as now the idle jumps up to ~4k before slooooowly falling after it warms up. Either that or I need to find the idle mix screws and play with them a bit. I decided the EMGO pods are not good enough (that internal lip bugs the crap outta me), so decided to upgrade to the mikesxs ones. No 54mm ones in stock, but the EMGO boot is 4mm thick so imma put the 62mm over the EMGO boot after I cut out that lip. (This guy is crazy!)

:er: Did my first oil change today.
Read the service manual first :p and thought, "this is going to be a snap - undo 2 bolts and voila!"
But the filter cover-bolt was more round than square. You can read ALL about it on the Garage/maintenance thread where I appealed for help. :banghead:

Well after 2 years of shed dwelling she's officially road legal. Got her inspected this morning, enjoyed a 35mile ride, switched up bikes on the way home with my brother who went along to get his cb750 bob stickered as well, he loves the smoothness of the xs also...although he wants me to cafe her really bad..lol Spent 40 minutes at the garage waiting for our stickers talking to two strangers about our two vintage Jap bikes, one was there with his immaculate 04 pearl white Fatboy..he spent the entire time praising my lil xs..he wanted it bad and insisted we not cafe it..the other gent loved both bikes, he told stories of his rd350 from back in the day.. Overall a great day, really brought back the love i've always has for anything vintage, stock, choppec- moded or just plain rat'd Old is cool end of story.

I finally got some time to fit my H4 conversion headlight. I really had to mess with the wires to make room in the bucket. I hope the extra light is worth it

Hi Folks,

Newbie here. I just got myself an 81 XS400 from a friend who had it in his barn. There really are barn treasures out there. Who knew. Today I picked it up and rode it home and what happens? The headlight goes out. Bummer. I'm super excited about turning this bike into a cafe cruzer. So awesome to have this devoted to this bike. I'm looking forward to learning a lot, working on the bike and joining this community. Cheers and any helpful advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• MyYamaha XS400.jpg
    MyYamaha XS400.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 227
My '83 was my father's bike, so took it for a nice, peaceful ride for father's day. So glad I held on to this bike.

Posted via Mobile

My '83 was my father's bike, so took it for a nice, peaceful ride for father's day. So glad I held on to this bike.

Sounds like a good ride. We may be sending you some weather for tomorrow though - rained all Fathers' Day here.
My Dad had a Royal Enfield before WWII, and even though I've only seen an old B&W photo, I get excited when I see one. If your '83 is as nice as mine, you'll probably never have to part with it.
I read you were looking forward to tightening up your rear. Did it work? Do you have the Seca or Maxim?

Correctly adjusted my idle air adjustment screw, and regapped my points. Starts with button again. Points old and slanty though, need new ones soon.

I got enough courage to hack off the old mufflers that were patched to crap and install a set my bud gave me from his harley. They actually fit and look good! was very suprised. cant wait to have them actually welded in place or replace the ugly clamps with some band calmps as none of the stores around here carried the band clamps. The bike now sounds deeper and a little louder. Not bad at all.

Sounds like a good ride. We may be sending you some weather for tomorrow though - rained all Fathers' Day here.
My Dad had a Royal Enfield before WWII, and even though I've only seen an old B&W photo, I get excited when I see one. If your '83 is as nice as mine, you'll probably never have to part with it.
I read you were looking forward to tightening up your rear. Did it work? Do you have the Seca or Maxim?
I have a Maxim. Pretty low mileage (6000 now, 5600 when I got it), so like you said, I hope I won't have to part with it any time soon.
I haven't tried to tighten up the rear yet, I will next time I take my wife along for the ride. Other than changing the battery, it will be my first adjustment to a bike. We'll see how it goes!

I have a Maxim. Pretty low mileage (6000 now, 5600 when I got it), so like you said, I hope I won't have to part with it any time soon.
I haven't tried to tighten up the rear yet, I will next time I take my wife along for the ride. Other than changing the battery, it will be my first adjustment to a bike. We'll see how it goes!
Wow, mine's going to turn over 30,000 kms (18,645 mi) this week if it doesn't rain.
There are lots of great folks on here who know what they are doing and are really willing to help. They helped me a lot when I was at your stage. Now I am at the next stage - where I am a fountain of 2nd-hand information. I am glad to share it, but if you catch me passing it off as my own, nominate me for "manager" and I will straighten right up.
A little marriage advice - be careful how you broach the subject of tightening up your rear and taking your wife for a ride. Best to have no causal link, either implied or stated, when it comes to those 2 things. Take notes on it though so you can teach me.

Today I tightened my chain a touch, oiled it and am about to go for a long ride with a crankcase full of new oil. First I must check for seepage at the slightly loosened screw, and then do a final level check.

Happy first day of Summer 2012 everyone:bike:
With not a cloud in the sky, what better way to welcome summer than to go off the beaten path and enjoy some nature....
P1030185.jpg

P1030168.jpg

P1030183.jpg

P1030175.jpg

Happy first day of Summer 2012 everyone:bike:
With not a cloud in the sky, what better way to welcome summer than to go off the beaten path and enjoy some nature....
I think your idea is the best. :thumbsup:
Here are a couple of other ways to celebrate the solstice:

Attachments

• summer solstice.jpg
    summer solstice.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 219
  • solstice, coney island.jpg
    solstice, coney island.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 234
Back