What did you do with your XS today?

Actually, it was yesterday.
After greeting the rising sun with my Druid friends (actually I greeted the already risen, nearly noon-day sun), I topped up the crankcase and went for a long ride. It was a very hot, humid day and I could certainly understand why all these geezers up here ride barehanded in shorts and tee-shirts. While tempted, I did not yield and kept ALL the gear on. :shrug:

I was surprised how much the oil level goes down in the sight-glass between putting in the new, and running it in until there's seepage out of the R-cyl screw. Glad I didn't ignore the manual and skip the double-check after the run-in.

Good adherence to standards LOU! Manly men read the MAN YOU WILL! (manual)
Thanks Drewcifer.
There are plenty of ways to screw up one of these wonderful machines that won't get you laughed at - might even get you sympathy. :eek:
But missing a basic fundamental because you were too lazy to read the book, or ask the Forum? :wtf: - well, I just don't want to face the wrath :yikes: of the community for such a sin. :p

Took the left side cover off yesterday to check the air cleaner. Brand new like the PO said.
One of the mounting pegs broke off (PO had glued a butt joint with something like airplane glue). The rubber grommet was nearly in 2 pieces too.

Not sure it deserves its own thread like "Seafoam" does, but thank goodness for black automotive "GOOP". After curing inside a hot car all day it's back together and good as new this AM - in time to hit the road with the rest of the bike.

Finished elcetrical on wednesday. Today started to paint. Tank, frame, battery box, not so sissy bar, rear fender. Im still trying to figure out the paint job. I want to do a 70's style with fish scales. Im not good enough for that nor do i have an air brush. I also made it a kick only. Eliminated starter solinoid and need to take out starter from engine but i dont want to have to break any old original engine seals. 8k original miles.:thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• 2012-06-22_17-45-36_243.jpg
    2012-06-22_17-45-36_243.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 215
  • 2012-06-22_17-45-52_183.jpg
    2012-06-22_17-45-52_183.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 227
Painted tins yesterday and got a sun burn on my back. Assembled bike last night into the wee hours. Had an electrical problem. Luckily it turned put to be a blown fuse. Not sure why but it blew. Today i finished up the little touches. Bled rear brake. Went and bought a rear view mirror so i can be street legal. Other than that just rode about 20 test miles to check things out.

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• 2012-06-24_12-31-28_655.jpg
    2012-06-24_12-31-28_655.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 242
  • 2012-06-24_12-31-17_680.jpg
    2012-06-24_12-31-17_680.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 228
  • 2012-06-24_12-31-03_68.jpg
    2012-06-24_12-31-03_68.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 218
got the old girl to run for the first time........bought the bike a 1.5 yrs ago...never heard it run...did all this work..and my buddy Jack sorted the wiring/firing gremlins...and she fired up and ran pretty good....I even have the jetting etc,.. close to spot on thanks to this forum!!
now it justs needs to be painted and tiddy the loose ends!!!

With not a cloud in the sky, what better way to welcome summer than to go off the beaten path and enjoy some nature....

Amen.
This beaten path was totally defeated. But there and back was a great ride.

Attachments

• Max & G-Bay.jpg
    Max & G-Bay.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 239
  • End of the Road.jpg
    End of the Road.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 228
I was all set to order a set of helmet lock extenders, since the saddlebags make it uncomfortable to use, when the inner cheapskate in me said "these are just glorified pieces of metal!" Grabbed some leftover 1.75"x0.063" aluminum bar and made my own. :bike:
The entire four foot bar was cheaper than any of the retail helmet extenders, btw.

$20 on ebay, as far as I can tell it's a generic CCTV battery. There are some that are higher capacity, but this one came with an AC charger and I doubt that I'd need more than this for a backup battery.

Edit: turns out it cannot source enough current to run anything by itself :'(

Last edited:
Speaking of batteries, I just splurged and bought a new one as my old one has been crap for a while. Overpriced little thing, but based on a lot of online reviews from various types of bike owners I think it'll be a good one. Ballistic Evo2 8 cell.
41xaDoy9FtL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Back