What did you do with your XS today?

I finally re-installed the engine in the frame. I did the lie it on it's side technique. It was a bit of a bugger getting everything to line up but got it in the end. One problem is that I have a left over spring in my "engine mounts and bolts" bag. It is about 40mm in diameter and 50mm long. Can anyone help identify what it is? I can post a pic in about 12hrs if that will help.

Cheers

centre stand spring?

No it isn't that. It is a compression spring. Size is more like 30mm diameter & 25mm high. Here is a pic.

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• 2012-07-01 09.51.24.jpg
    2012-07-01 09.51.24.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 219
don't forget the washer that goes with it

Thanks, I will have to find it first. I had a few beers when I removed the engine & just threw all the bits in a tub. :doh: It is now taking me 3 times as long to put it all back together. Lesson learnt.

Posted via Mobile

Installed tapered steering head bearings. The seals that came with the bearings are a load of junk just put in the packet to piss you off. How tight do you have to do the castle nut on the steering head & is it ok to use a hammer & screwdriver to tighten it (that is what I used to loosen it).?

Installed kick starter and clutch cover.

Tried to remove the front wheel bearings by welding a rod to the inner race & hammering it but it wouldn't budge. Resorting to cutting the inner race out with a dremel & then I will weld a couple of beads on the inside of the outer race and see if that does the trick.

It is starting to look more like a bike. :bike:

Posted via Mobile

no, don't whack it. I just nipped mine up they don't need loading. you can put a few tonnes of pressure in there if your not careful.

you'll find that you'll have to re-tighten a couple of times as they bed in.

just redone the tracker ones.

front wheel bearings, wadda ya mean?

a rod across the center and whacked it from the other side using a drift? should have moved. try a bit of heat too

Someone played a trick on me. Someone bad - or innocent but stupid. Someone turned my petcock to RES. I left the house to go 2 miles to the gas station - still could hear a few cup-fulls sloshing around, but time for a fill-up.
Got half way there. Isn't it cool how you can see the level of the gas at the bottom of the clear in-line filter? :yikes:
Caution to Maxim (and likely SECA owners): Don't rely on or be assured by the sound of gas sloshing. There was plenty of that still going on and plenty still visible in the bottom of the tank, but B-W is right, it's below the petcock and will not come out. I have proved it. :wtf:
General Caution: Don't just hop on and assume everything is the same, just because you yourself didn't change any settings.

Took it for a little spin around the neighborhood to start off the lunch hour. Still have a high idle problem after it gets warmed up that I need to sort and I discovered i need some more practice on my turning from a stop. And I was confronted by someone going out the entrance...
eventful and fun little 15 minute tour!

Saturday... bought the bike
Sunday... tore it apart and cut it up
Monday...
2e300fa5.jpg

Tuesday... ordered new parts!!
It's been a productive few days for the old girl.

stared puting the carbs back together as best as i could . still waiting for the new jets to come in from mikes so i started looking into the petcock .Disassemble and cleaning it up . i did it one piece at a time ,and it didnt cost me a dime !!!!!

No ducking way!!! That chain frame is too cool for school. Mad props man.

I've been riding tons and tons and tons. Left my gfs house the other night and took the 100km long way home. It's usually 20kms lol.

IMG_00000168.jpg

IMG_00000169.jpg

Placed a little crazy glue on my after market air filters so they dont slide off carbs.

Tryed alittle gorilla glue otherday worked great easy to get off.

the crazy glue holds so strong it ripped the rubber when trying to take off.

so gorilla glue has bine tested and works... just a few drops tho.

Back