What did you do with your XS today?

I installed new rubber intake manifolds. Put on my nicely cleaned and tuned carb set and she started first kick. I'll fine tune it later.
2013%5C02%5C13%5Cbikepics-2515938-full.jpg

I fabricated a tail for my ride. Anyone recognize it? I copied a design I found in a photo.

Attachments

• DSCN0425.JPG
    DSCN0425.JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 235
Picked up a headlight from Monster Craftsman, 5" Bates style. Made a tab for it. Got my tach hacked off and am just running a speedo, made a bracket for that too. Next is mounting the steel plate behind the motor and making the brackets for the back of the motor. Once I get that done I can put in the electrical box and battery holder.

Today I also purchased new:

Speedo cable, tach cable, oil filter, chain, sprockets, push-rod oil seal, three-bond goo, and a 6mm thread repair kit.

That's the one! The proportions are a little different on mine, but I am pleased with how it turned out. I like working with metal a lot more than fiberglass.

This build is well known and looks awesome! Yeah this shape is quite simple. But hammering of classic looking cowl from metal could be a nightmare for me:D

Keep the gold fork tubes! Many modern sport bikes have gold fork tubes regardless of the color of the motorcycle. It is quite "normal" to see and draws attention to a unique aspect of your build. Not many people run inverted forks.

The forks were originally black, but with some scratches, so I let them gold anodized because my first vision was to have gold USD forks and the rest of bike in black (rims, frame, engine, tank and cowl) with some gold details on. But I could choose only one shade of gold (on the picture) and it's too glaring - something between gold, yellow and orange. Maybe with black headlight brackets and black clipons it will look better. My other idea (now prefered) is to have black forks, rims, frame and tank and cowl in gunmetal paint.

Last edited:
I mocked up the new tail light that came in and attached my fiberglass battery box. Things are happening!

I didnt do anything major but fix some very small dents in my gas tank without air pressure this time.I also sanded down side covers that cover the air filters.My tank is close to cady apply red and I like the color.I will be painting the side covers to match.

went out for a run and ran out of juice, so after a 1 mile push home, I charged me battery as I did forget to do it over the winter. :banghead:

so keeping fit as well :laugh:

it does work, but you also need a charged battery for it to work!
You need a part or 2 from mine - which over-charges the battery.
There are days when I'd love a pull-start and a magneto like my snow blower. One cylinder engine turning maybe 2,000 rpms at the most - yet a bright headlight for night-time blowing and NO battery, no tender, no rectifier, no alternator, no generator, no regulator and no fuses. Seems like a vastly superior design to me.

Ordered new pistons, piston ring sets (1st O/S), piston pins and some bits... Expensive as hell:yikes:

I hope this was last order with parts for my engine. I'd like to order new tyres so much, but this was priority n1:shrug:

Last edited:
Successfully got the gauge glass off the speedometer to fix the loose screw that was bouncing around. The retaining ring suffered no damage in the process!

Also been knocking around a couple ideas to lower the gauges. Looks awkward at stock height with drag bars.

I have my project on hold b/c I am doing a rotation of nights at the hospital. Sucks balls. Plus the boss---->reminded me that money does not grow on trees. Shit. I need to cut back on my hobbies.

I re painted my new gas tank and stripped and repainted/clear coated the plastic carb covers again.I went with a candy apple red this time.I quite pleased with how everything turned out.I tookpics but the color settings are so off the pics make them look bright red.

Back