what first with non running xs400

suffolkbobber

XS400 Member
Reaction score
ok, my 400 has been sitting for countless years, everything has been sealed and all parts are there. what is the first things to do in order to get running, i want to make sure i have a good engine before i start the build. im pretty sure i will most likely need new carbs, but maybe a good cleaning would do? do i need a charged battery to kick start? i just need to know where to go from here. just bought it, got home, now what.

Hey suffolk. You are definitely on the right track. First, clean the carbs thoroughly, pay attention to all the small passages and jets. Second, oil change. Third, pour a couple tablespoons of ATF down the spark plug holes and let it soak. Might as well throw the battery on a charger while doing all this. Good luck.

-get the shop manual (check on this forum for a pdf)
-Plugs out, penetrating oil into the cylinders, let it sit overnight
-oil out, sump screen out, clean screen, replace oil filter, new oil in
-now do a compression test- over about 120, that's OK, over 140 great, under 100- probably needs rings, but possibly valves.
-you can do the compression test with the kicker

If the compression is decent:
-carbs off, disassemble, if at all dirty have ultrasonically cleaned or boil them out
-reassemble carbs
-plugs in
-drain tank, check for dirt or rust, if dirty, clean the tank
-check air filters, clean or replace if necessary
-lube cables (clutch and throttle)
-replace battery- won't run at all without a good one
-try to start

-Do not try to start it without doing these things.
Now, kick it over or try to start it

ok i started doing things ass backwards but i will now get on track and do it right. hopefully i haven't ruined anything in the engine by trying to start it after just doing the carbs. :doh:

It maybe easier to turn the engine over faster with the electric starter, but the drain from cranking can bring the voltage down far enough so the ignition won't fire well or at all.
If your leg gets tired, use a second battery and jumper cables. Set the extra battery next to the bike, I have a car battery for this, hook the black cable from the negitive on the battery to a good frame ground. Hook the red to battery positive, the other red end clamp to a long screw driver, touch the screwdriver to the starter side of the starter solenoid. This way the bike battery only has to power the ignition. The car battery just cranks the starter.
Leo
Leo

Back