What have been your favorite performance upgrades?

Hate to say it but not a whole lot of performance upgrades for a 400 :laugh2: I love the little guys but your still limited......as for cosmetics there are so many ways you can go. I have a scrambler type and also a cafe style. I love the scrambler but so does the wife.......thats why I did a cafe.

Would love to find a stock 77 and leave it that way........I love the looks of those.

The tough part is that damn tank! I have a beauty, but to make it usable I will likely have to make some changes! I have kept everything that I take off and made it so I can revert if I get a damn tank!!

Upgrades? Well if you have points ignition, you can upgrade to an electronic one. You can also switch over to irridium spark plugs. You can get carbs from a XS360 too.

Im sure theres people who have tried stuff with porting and other head work too. You may be able to mill the head and use a thin headgasket to get more compression....?

I have a XS400 camshaft that I plan on putting in my 360 sometime soon. Should give a little more lift.

Performance wise would be a well tuned stock bike. I have done all types of pod setups and used many types of mufflers and the stock setup works the best for overall performance. You can upgrade to TCI ignition and replace swing arm bushings with bronze ones, roller bearings for the neck and high end shocks for the rear. But unless you racing the bike it's not really necessary.

Upgrades? Well if you have points ignition, you can upgrade to an electronic one. You can also switch over to irridium spark plugs. You can get carbs from a XS360 too.

Im sure theres people who have tried stuff with porting and other head work too. You may be able to mill the head and use a thin headgasket to get more compression....?

I have a XS400 camshaft that I plan on putting in my 360 sometime soon. Should give a little more lift.[/QUOTE
I have seen this said before. I wonder if you, or someone here, can answer "what benefit does the iridium plug give you? "
For those who don't want to use sealed bearings in the steering,it is viable to simply replace the ball bearings. That is, unless the bearing seats are damaged. Ball bearings are very cheap and easy to repack. It is also easy to see if they are worn. However, be sure to replace all the balls regardless of if some appear okay and others are worn. Replace all or worn bearings left in can alter wear on the new ones.

Back