What model do I have?

Orangetuesdays

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been wondering this for awhile as I've been working on my XS and sifting through the sea of online parts.. but I'm not really sure what model I have. The title says "Model/Body: RS" but I never find a correlation to this model while shopping for parts.
While shopping for 79 xs parts I always see XS400, XS400F, XS400 2-F and once in awhile other models will be thrown in there, but those are the ones I see most often. I'm not even sure what the "RS" on my title could be.

Could anyone help me out with the differences in the 79 models or point me in the right direction where I can do some reading? Thanks :D

There are 2 1979 XS400 models- "F" and "2F".

Simple to tell the difference- If you have wire wheels with drum brakes and no electric starter, you have a 2F. If you have alloys, disk brakes and an electric starter, you have an F.

There is no "XS400" and no "RS". It's either XS400-F or XS400-2F.

where there special and special 2 models of the 79? mine came with a box of parts and one of the parts was "special 400" side panel. I dont know if the PO bought that later on as a restoration project or pulled that off the bike and left it in the box for the next person.

They were not marked as "specials" until 1980. Before that they just said xs400:thumbsup:

I think non-u.s. models used an SE model code on some models but I am not sure on witch.

Looking for some clarification my title says 79 RS as well
It has electric start mag wheels and disc brakes

Back