What should have power before start up?

xsbrat

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trying to wire this bike. Im in the process of doing this all from scratch so mistake number one possibly. Anyways I have power to brown wires, blue wires and red wire. however i dont have power to the coils or the magneto...should those have power before startup? the ignition box doesnt seem to have any power going to it. which wire is supposed to power that? any help is welcomed..beating my head against wall on this..

use the ignition switch, and you should have power to the fuse box.

no magneto's on these bikes only alternators which only charge when running and a healthy 12v.

i should be more specific im doing this with minimal wires. making my own fuse box...My question is before i try to start the bike will power be going to the coils or ignition module? Everything else is getting power.

I thought the ignition module should power the coils, I don't have the yam TCI only aftermarket stuff on mine

sorry for dumb questions here...i have spark to both plugs...does it matter which side is which for the plugs? im getting a nasty backfire when i try to kick it

yep, but just switch, should be ok then!

I have heard that is you mistime the xs engine they have been known to run backwards!!

Does the green and white wires going to the pickup need power also? im getting power everywhere else

Back