What Size Fuel Filter

dellrio

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys - I am a newbie here, just bought a 1980 XS400 and have put a few hundred miles on it so far. I am fixing up all the little things that are wrong with it, and it does not have an inline fuel filter. I have a hefty cart built up on an online parts shop, but was wondering if anyone can tell me the diameter of the barbs needed on a fuel filter for these bikes. I am not at home, and can not measure the fuel lines ID right now. Any help would be appreciated!

Welcome to the forum! Same year as my bike. The fuel tap (valve) has a filter built into it. That's all I use and is usually enough if your tank is clean. Some have installed an inline filter. I can't tell you the size of the barb but believe it to be pretty standard. You can buy any small engine inline fuel filter but I would not get the smallest - like one for a lawn mower. I used a NAPA Gold for my scooter.

The guy that just worked on my 78 XS400 got one at a Yamaha dealer. Description on the bill says FF701CD20 Fuel filter 1/4, P/N 151912. $3.49

Thanks guys - I actually found one that has different size barbs that screw into the filter body, so I just bought that one.

The tank looked really clean when I bought the bike, but now it looks like it has developed some light surface rust, so I want the inline just for some added peace of mind.

The bike has run great so far, bought it off a local Vintage Motorcycle shop owner - so it has been in good hands for the last few years. Replaced the Battery, and thats about it, just has a bunch of little things im fixing up, missing a mirror, no signals, there is a custom luggage rack that hides the brakelight, so i want to relocate that, but overall a solid bike. I plan on getting through this riding season, then I will tear it apart over the winter, probably take the tank to a radiator shop and have it cleaned and sealed.

Back