What size sprockets?

Daddio

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Going to be running a 21" rear tire. What is everyone's ideas for the proper rear sprocket size?

Foul, that is awesome thank you. Looks like a 42 tooth rear will get it back to stock. Now what do you guys think about your bikes stock gearing once you opened up the intake, exhaust and adjusted the carbs? Do you wish for a change in your tooth count?

Last edited:
Thanks Drewpy, was hoping you would be one of the people to chime in. With all this weight maybe 17/43, since 42 is nominal to factory with a 21" rear. I will wait and see where it comes in weight wise since this bike is going to be stripped of so much other stuff, maybe the tanks and frame will equal it out.

I'm concentrating on building my bike for more top end speed than a stoplight racer, so I have ordered a 32 tooth rear. I'll let you know how it works out when I get it.

Thanks Mike. Curious, what are you planning for yours? That seems pretty high.
Thanks again.

I use my bike as pretty much a daily commuter to work and use highways alot. Since the 6speed box on the xs is so close-ratioed, I'd preffer to still be shifting up through the cogs when I'm hitting the TON. I also want to be able to outrun your average Liter-plus Harleys and cruise with the sportbikes, while using a much smaller displacement bike. (Fuel economy is also a factor)

Wow...I had no idea these little motors could pull like that. Not that I think my bike with dual 21s and a hardtail will be confidence inspiring for those kinds of speeds, it gives me more respect for the bike than I previously had. Thank.

went to Wombwell today and you get to ride a Kart track with other 70's bikes. The only bikes that got past me was a 500 ducati racer and a susuki GS850. rd 250's were slower on the straight (I'm taking into account that the riders can't go round corners like me)

people coming over and remarking how fast those things are!

it was a tight track with lots of left hand corners as you can tell from my front tyre

Attachments

• IMAG0329.jpg
    IMAG0329.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 282
  • IMAG0328.jpg
    IMAG0328.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 272
Dang...I may have to build a cafe so the other one has a friend in the garage!! Drewpy- I am surprised with the lean angles you can get on these. The last time I scrubbed tires like that was on "modern" sports bikes; late '80's and '90's bikes. If I do the cafe next I will have to find out how you set up your bike!!! Though I am about ready to pull the trigger on '51 Chevy coupe.

Hey Mike F, how much highway riding do you do with your bike? Have you come up with a decent gear ratio that works good for it? I'm looking to commute ~70mi. round trip to work on mine and mostly 55-65mph the whole way. This is my first bike so I'm no expert but it seems geared a little low for those speeds.:shrug:

What size (tooth counts) are your current front and rear sprockets? Mine were originally 16/39. I dropped the back to a 37 and i am happy with it. If you are going to ride at 65 mph, you are just going to have to get used to the engine turning at least 5500+ rpm (with a 37). If you drop it much below that ratio, you won't be real happy with low speed performance.

[edit]- this is on stock 18" alloys with stock sized tires, by the way.

Last edited:
just been riding my mates last years model xj6-s and it turns over 6200 rpm @ 70, same as mine.

BTW riding a 4 cyl bike is no-where near as fun as the xs. :D

just been riding my mates last years model xj6-s and it turns over 6200 rpm @ 70, same as mine.

BTW riding a 4 cyl bike is no-where near as fun as the xs. :D

Just 2 more carbs to go out of tune, 2 more spark plugs to go bad, 2 more sets of rings to wear out.....

mine is also a 16/39 will it do the ton? i wont know, because i dont have a speedo. lol. i would assume i have to spin it a little more tho correct? or is it the other way around. lol.

Is running the bike at 5500 rpm normal or safe for the bike? Like I said, i'm still a little green with this. What kind of mileage do you guys get running like this?

Back