What the H3LL are these called!?

Inflict

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I need some XS400 Guru wisdom!

What are the big bolts with the circular covers attached shown at the top of this image called? In the manual it seems to call them a camshaft cover... but searching on that will not yeild anything at all...

1p9m52.jpg

Also, any idea where I can get some new ones?

thanks!

Hey Drewpy!

These 2 are ok... but the other two are pretty fubar and leaking... the actual bolt part on one has actually sheered off!

These are the last things to be done on my build, and I cant find them anywhere!

I tried searching for xs400 valve covers etc and cannot find them anywhere!

I dont suppose you have any suggestions?

hey there - I just tried speednsport and couldnt find them there either... They appear to be as rare as hens teeth or am I just REALLY bad at searching?

they are hard to find and fragile to boot.

I managed to get one off a friend then an NOS set turned up on eBay, typical.

I think you will have to be patient or get a forum memeber to get you one ( I don't have any BTW)

try nwvcp.com, good guy and has lots of good NOS parts. Bought countless parts from him, if his website shows that you can add it to your cart, then he has it!! Also maybe try myoldyamaha.com. They have some rare parts.

guys...

THANKYOU for all the awesome help.

I've found them at cmsnl.com

However... now STUCK and at 50 Euros all in (o-rings too) I dont want to get the wrong ones!!!

Look at this:

http://www.cmsnl.com/products/plugviewer_1h21118600/

VS

http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xs400h-1981_model8825/covercylinder-head-side_1l91118600/

its appears to be the difference between the Xs400sh 1981 and the
Xs400h 1981... my problem is I have NO idea which bike I've been transforming for the past year...

So you guys - Are those parts actually different do you think? and if they are... can you identify my bike from this pic?

5np5ro.jpg

I can't see any reason why the engines, heads, or associated bits would be different between those two models. I am guessing that something is mis-labelled on the Yamaha parts diagram.

All I can suggest for figuring out which model you are working on is to look at the 3 digit prefix on the engine itself. My list is by no means complete and I believe it relates more to North American models but the 1981 XS400H shows as 4R5 and the SH shows as 4R4.

Hope this helps a little.

1L9 is a typical XS400 prefix while 1H2 sounds strange to me.
(Google says it is a XS500.)

So buy the the 1L9 part and you will be fine. I will fit to any XS400 OHC engine.

1L9 is a typical XS400 prefix while 1H2 sounds strange to me.
(Google says it is a XS500.)

So buy the the 1L9 part and you will be fine. I will fit to any XS400 OHC engine.

I did this! I'll let you know if I just blew 50 EUROS when they arrive! :)

usually they make the round timing cober on the left side.

I am not sure about the valve covers. But I remember that covers from newer bikes would fit too.

usually they make the round timing cober on the left side.

I am not sure about the valve covers. But I remember that covers from newer bikes would fit too.

I got one for my tracker, but I'm sure someone did the valve covers

Back