What type/where can i get original key blanks?

Recreateme

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I picked up my 79 xs400-2F about a month ago, and the PO gave me 1 key. I would love to have extras of this for obvious reasons but i have taken it to three places that specialize in cutting keys and none of them had blanks and told me they couldn't replicate it.

Does anyone have a source for blanks? They said they could cut the key once i get the blanks but so far i can't find them, and i know nothing about keys..

The pre-80 bikes use a different style key. I had to special order one from yamaha cost me $20. Maybe check ebay I think I have seen a few on there.

The keys are not different but its how they are made. My local yamaha dealers key machine could not do one for my 79 but could for the 80:shrug:

Yeah i figured that was it. When i looked online i saw a bunch for the 80+ years but nothing for the 79 sub years..

The other way around this is changing the ignition correct? Getting a new one with updated features for some place like mikesxs, that would be just plug it in and screw it down right ?

EDIT: - I found one on ebay as being 'Pre-Cut' where they all cut the same (will work on my bike) or will this key only work with the original ignition ?

There are 4 numbers on the key and lock they (yamaha) can use them to cut or have one made for your lock.

Back