Wheel builders?

Mickey85

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I'd like mag wheels, as I'm not a fan of the idea of spokes going loose, but I really, really prefer the look of spoke wheels, especially on older standard bikes. So, here's the question...

The wheels I have are pretty pooched. They work, and I've put a couple thousand miles on them, but the front rim is rusty, the rear is a 16", and I'd love to have a pair of 18" wheels that are actually shiny. So, does anyone have anybody they could recommend in the US that would build a set of wire wheels for under a bazillion bucks? From a quick google search, I'm seeing $400+ per wheel, spokes and rims inclusive...

You could just buy new rims and spokes and re-lace your's. Not as hard as it may look but does take a bit a patience and planning. Helps also to have a spare wheel to use as a pattern! Or just find a good used hub to put the new parts on, someone here may have one to sell. I did the rear wheel on my XS650 several years ago after it broke 9 spokes! Sidecars are tough on old wire wheels.

I bet with a little searching on the Interweb someone has posted a Youtube video of how to do it.

I'd never rebuilt a spoked wheel before and I didn't have much problem. I can give some tips if you do decide to DIY.

Have you thought about getting new spokes and getting your current rims and hubs blasted and powder coated instead of buying new?

The rims are chrome, and I'd like to keep them shiny (whether chrome, stainless, or polished Aluminum). Rechroming isn't really an option, as there aren't many places in the area that would do it, and I'd like to go from a 16" to 18" rear anyway. Also, the front rim has a flat spot in it. Still works, but I'm not spending money to rechrome a dented rim. As for spokes, the bigger rim on the back would necessitate new spokes anyway.

I'm assuming that a motorcycle wheel, being that it's stiffer and has shorter spokes, would be easier, but when I built a bike wheel, it took months of heavy drinking, cussing, and probably half-again the number of spokes that actually are on the wheel, due to broken spokes or poorly measured spokes from the bike shop. I'm not really willing to go through that crap again...

Back