Wheel Swap Maxim wheels on a seca ?

YamahaRider

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I have a 1982 400 Seca I have fairly short legs and would like to lower the bike so that more of my foot is on the ground. I was wondering if anybody has done this is it even possible?

You could look for some aftermarked dual shock absorbers and replace the monoshock. I believe this was a common mod back in the day so the mounting should be easy (I think the connections are there already)

If you get shorter, stiffer shocks, you may be able to lower the seat a few inches. But I wouldn't know since I'm 6'4'' and I wish the seat could be higher :laugh:

if you decide to go this way, make sure you don't end up riding the rear tire with the rear fender. So do the math!

Willem is right, there's a fair amount of math to do.

You won't get the full 2" advantage going from the Seca 18" to the Maxim 16". The Maxim's wheel takes a larger tire so the actual tire height may not be much less.

Also, if I am not mistaken, the rear sprockets will be different. My Maxim has a 35T and I believe the Seca uses a 37. I had always assumed this was to adjust for the 6-speed tranny (Maxim is 5-speed), since the rpms in top gear are the same. But maybe it adjusts for a rolling circumference difference too.

You might also have a problem swapping to a 19" Maxim front tire as the brake disc is offset on the Maxim but flat on the Seca.

If you aren't riding in heavy duty motorcycle boots yet, you might want to consider sinking some of your funds into a pair. The thick soles and heels make a noticeable difference to your leg length and footing. I am a touch vertically challenged myself and I love my used set of Harley riding boots for that very reason. Well worth the $60.

You can always get some boots with extra thick soul put on them,maybe that will help.Seriously though I agree with a seat that has less foam on it.

Back