1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Where's my VIN?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by EggsBenedict, May 21, 2020.

1. EggsBenedict

EggsBenedict XS400 New Member

Hello! I'm new to the forum and also just bought my first motorcycle. It's a fixer upper. I want to get some parts for it but I'd like to first confirm the year/ make/ model. I found the sticker behind the front forks but it only has a "shorty" VIN. It's supposed to be a 1980 Yamaha 400 Special. Any other way to get the VIN or at least confirm what I have? Any help would be awesome and thank you in advance.

2. xschris

xschris a lifestyle not a trend Top Contributor

The motor will have it and it should also be stamped into the neck. Most pre 82/83 have "short" vin numbers. Post some pics of the bike we love pics.

MoonClipper likes this.
  3. MoonClipper

MoonClipper XS400 Enthusiast

Elaborating a bit on what Chris said: before 1981 standardized vin's we're not a thing, many manufacturers had their own idea of how vin's should look, as a result many vin's before 1981 are shorter than what they are in modern times.

1981 and on they standardized the vin's to the 17 digit vin's you are use to seeing. If your motor is original you can cross reference your vin, but you should realize that if the motor has been swapped then the vin could be different. Use the one on the neck, that's the one the DMV goes off of in most stages.

xschris likes this.