Which type are compatible with XS400SE

K_mood

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have an XS400SE, early 80s, with a broken engine (would cost to much to repair),
so I'm looking for a donor motorcycle.

Are there any other types of the XS400 that would fit this frame?
I know that for example xs400 maxim wouldn't fit.

Is it only the exact same type (XS400SE), or are there any other types that I could look for?
If anyone knows more about this, that would be a big help!

Any SOHC xs400 engine will physically fit the frame.
Anything before 1980 will have mechanical points ignition rather than the TCI on your bike.

The 77-80 sohc xs400 used a different style mounting setup for the rear lower bolt on the motor than the 81-82 sohc motors. The hole is larger on the 81-82 motor because they use a rubber dampening system. If yours has no top rear mounting bolt then it should have this setup. Post some pics of this area so we can see. It maybe different that what the U.S. bikes have. You may have to drill out the hole to accept the larger bolt if you use an earlier motor.

Pictures are here:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/2Motors/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1315683505139590

I'm looking into different solutions.
The easiest would be to find a complete engine of the same type, but no luck in finding any so far.
Another type that would fit the frame would be great, but I have to little knowledge to be able to tell which engines will fit, and which won't.

I also found a few crankshafts with connecting rod, not sure if those are 'exchangeable'.

I would really love to fix this motorcycle, but I'm starting to fear that it would not be possible (or cost an insane amount of money :/)

For example, I find a lot of parts of XS400SG, which is appearantly build in the same years as the SE.
SE seems european, SG seems American... would that be compatible?
(if anyone knows)

Your frame is setup for the 77-80 sohc xs400 (u.s.) type motor mounts. The SG-G xs400 (u.s.) is an 80 model.

Thanks! I'll see if I can find some spare parts of the sohc type.

I also found someone who told me to use an 250s crankshaft. He says it would work just fine, and might even react quicker to acceleration.
But my mechanic says it would give to much vibrations, he's not keen on using the 250s crankshaft.
The first guy seems to really know what he's talking about, but I really don't know who to believe... :/

Back