white smoke left cylinder helppp

Smokey77xs

cafe' all day
Reaction score
ive owned my 77xs400 for about a month now and have put around 500 miles on it already. hopefully this has just started, but i noticed there is a little puff of white smoke that faintly smells like oil when i goose the throttle sitting still. Also there is a bit of backfiring/ popping around 3k rpm. please let me know what you all think this may be, any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Oily exhaust may indicate a worn valve seal on that cylinder. Popping would likely indicate a lean condition so my first solution for that'n would be to clean out your carbs again. You may have missed some dirt in the initial cleaning. Check for any sediment in your jets as your pilot jet is operational in that range.

You'll have to do a compression test to see if it's worn rings. If the compression is lower on that side than the other, put some trans oil in the cylinder and see if the compression comes up, if it does you have worn rings.

The popping sounds like a it may be a bit lean. As to the smoke, does it only happen when first started, or will it do that after it had been ridden, and then is sitting still again?

Back