Who that lives in the north country is still riding?

Scorpio1963

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Other than myself is anyone else still out riding or have gave in to winter and put your Bike in till Spring?
On that note as long as we keep having the occasinal 40* something day Im sticking with it till the end.
It was 34* today and I went out for a 30 minute ride.Thing is I had already put my stabil in thinking the season was over.
I have also still seen a few other diehards out riding.

Given the traffic I wished for a dirtbike with some studded tires to cruise down the shoulders... :D

I have ridden my bike for the last 3 days even today.It was 45* today so it wasnt so bad.Couple of days ago it was 32* I bundled up with 4 layers and rode for about an hour.I guess I found something thats new to me that Im realy passoinate about.Fishing was always my 1st passion and now I would rather ride.:thumbsup:

I haven't put the bike away yet, but last rode on Dec 3rd - every warm day since has had day-long drizzle and my 0.5 Scottish genes just refuse to kick in.
Today will be perfect but we are about to leave for 3 days in Ohio - to return to cold and snow on Sat evening - according to the weather mis-forecasters.

Apparently one doesn't have to worry about riding with Stabilizer in the fuel, just remember to add more when you top it up.
Maybe you should consider crossing that big bridge and buying some SHELL 91 over here - they guarantee it's Ethanol-FREE.

I haven't put the bike away yet, but last rode on Dec 3rd - every warm day since has had day-long drizzle and my 0.5 Scottish genes just refuse to kick in.
Today will be perfect but we are about to leave for 3 days in Ohio - to return to cold and snow on Sat evening - according to the weather mis-forecasters.

Apparently one doesn't have to worry about riding with Stabilizer in the fuel, just remember to add more when you top it up.
Maybe you should consider crossing that big bridge and buying some SHELL 91 over here - they guarantee it's Ethanol-FREE.

Im more concerned with water in the fuel more than ethanol Lou ranger.I topped the bike off a couple of weeks ago with 93 octane.It definately runs like it.I had to put some dry gas in the tank though cause I seen water coming out the exaust pipes.The only problem Im having when I do ride is getting the bike to start and keep forgetting to bring my battery inside on the cold nights.:banghead:Over here after today I got 1 more decent day of weather then the bottom falls out.If I dont put the Bike away today then tomorrow it will have get done.

Ride mine everyday. It's been about 25* here every morning. I usually take my seat off at night to keep it warm lol, as the bike it frosted over in the morning.

Ride mine everyday. It's been about 25* here every morning. I usually take my seat off at night to keep it warm lol, as the bike it frosted over in the morning.

Its been about the same here I have been bringing in the battery also.Its been about 40*F or so daytime.I keep saying Im going to put it away but its been reletivly mild for these parts for December.:bike:
I keep riding but its keeping me from focusing on a more important project I should be working on.

... but its been reletivly mild for these parts for December.:bike:
I keep riding but its keeping me from focusing on a more important project I should be working on.
I din't there there was a more important project than riding on a warm (enough) day. :shrug:
I killed me to be in Ohio, mid 40s sunshine all day yesterday - with the bike on the other side of Lake Erie!

Unfortunately I have one and its on 4 wheels not 2.It was supposed to be finished many months ago.
Sunday our high is supposed to near 50*F guess that project goes on hold for another day that is if it doesnt rain.
The bike is definately getting put away tomorrow and this time I meen it.When i get my other project finsihed then I have time to work on the bike so the longer i ride it longer it will be for the next project to start.

I just gave mine a good bath and think that I'm going to call this season done. The road salt and de-icer fluid is causing more rust and corrosion than I'm willing to tolerate.

Now I can start working on a lift table and then tackle some of the bigger maintenance tasks I've been postponing.

Dave

I just gave mine a good bath and think that I'm going to call this season done. The road salt and de-icer fluid is causing more rust and corrosion than I'm willing to tolerate.

Now I can start working on a lift table and then tackle some of the bigger maintenance tasks I've been postponing.

Dave

Yeah gave mine a shower yesterday also but I missed a spot:laugh:

Check your forecast for Tue. 43 and mostly sunny.
42 in Guelph Tue. I will beat my Dec 4th record from last year!

Well I dont have any records to beat since this is my 1st year riding :laugh:I`ll let the diehard scooter riders keep riding till theres snow.IF I dont work on my project I`ll go fishing instead.We have alot of rain which means full rivers and fresh chromers waiting for me to catch them.:thumbsup:

Well I dont have any records to beat since this is my 1st year riding :laugh:I`ll let the diehard scooter riders keep riding till theres snow.IF I dont work on my project I`ll go fishing instead.We have alot of rain which means full rivers and fresh chromers waiting for me to catch them.:thumbsup:
I think it is incumbent upon those of us who bemoan getting old, to show the younger crowd how it is to be done.
Specifically, I mean the xs400 fair-weather riders who had baby-boomer parents driving them to school or walking them to the school bus every day (precious babes that they were.
They don't know what cold weather is much less how to function in it.
Not the way we, who walked miles to school in waist deep snow - up hiill both ways, do. :smoke:

Well I have nothing to prove to myself as for how cold of weather to ride in.I have rode snowmobiles in -20*f .If I didnt have other things to do that I have been procrastinating the last 3 weeks I would leave the Bike a little longer.Even my wife is triing to talk me into it.:wtf::laugh:She says to me today last week you rode your bike when it was 30*f I said yeah but I froze my knockers off also.When its that cold its no longer fun.

... Even my wife is triing to talk me into it.:wtf::laugh:She says to me today last week you rode your bike when it was 30*f I said yeah but I froze my knockers off also.When its that cold its no longer fun.
Sounds like your wife is acting with enlightened self interest. It's pretty common knowledge that keeping one's knockers cold increases both one's fertility and one's desire to prove it. :bed:
:laughing:

Im more concerned with water in the fuel more than ethanol Lou ranger.I topped the bike off a couple of weeks ago with 93 octane.It definately runs like it.I had to put some dry gas in the tank though cause I seen water coming out the exaust pipes.

Ethanol absorbs water over time. That's part of why it sucks. Also the vapor coming out of your exhaust when it's cold out will happen with any gas. It doesn't mean you have water in the gas.

Sounds like your wife is acting with enlightened self interest. It's pretty common knowledge that keeping one's knockers cold increases both one's fertility and one's desire to prove it. :bed:
:laughing:

Hilarious Lou but thats definately not the motive:laugh:Neither her or I want kids and have 3 4legged children that already keep us busy.Meow.Now maybe she wanted to get rid of me so she could wrapp up a Christmas present:umm:

Back