Will any muffler work?

cafenewb

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Ok guys,

I tried the searchbar but wasn't getting much.
Like an idiot I chopped off my mufflers. now i'm realizing that may have been a bad idea. I'm not crazy about the stock mufflers so I was going to run out to our local boneyard and see if I can find something else.

My question is, will any muffler (assuming the header portion is similar or same outer diameter as mine) work? Are there any problems with backpressure or more rejetting if I were to put on mufflers from a sportbike or dirtbike?

*note* I put pod filters on so i know i'll have to rejet anyway, but I'm hoping putting mufflers back on will make it a little easier than pod filters and straight pipes.

thanks in advance!

If you have a welder and can weld on stainless you can use mufflers from Suzuki,Kawasaki,Honda it doesnt matter.As long as youcan get them to fasten they will work.Dont use a dirt bike exhaust system they wont work and are made for 2cycle engines only.There are online shops that sell replacement mufflers also.
Edit most downpipe are different and will not fit our xs`s unless you mod them.

Has anyone tried those baffle inserts yet? I love the look of my straight pipes, so if I could toss one of those "can opener style" baffles in that would be ideal. I just need to quiet it down a bit.

Back