Will this diagram work?! HELPS

Carolinarooster

79' XS400
Reaction score
I think I'm getting close... please check this out and see if I'm getting any closer to completing a proper diagram...
thanks

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 378
Just glancing at it, I can tell you its not right. Will take a look tomorrow afternoon and let you know what's wrong

Have you looked at your other thread on the subject?
You're still missing the field coil entirely.

The starter relay is all wrong.
The positive lead from the battery is only connecting to the starter relay, nothing else is actually drawn connecting to it. Fixing the starter relay should fix this.
I think the points, ignition coils, and condenser are probably ok, but draw in the missing grounds and label the wires.
There's probably more.

Have you looked at the stock wiring diagram? It might be easier to work backwards from it rather than starting from scratch.

Let's keep this in one thread too, no need for more than one on the same subject.

Ok, I made this one. Feeling like I'm going cross-eyed and taking crazy pills.HA
Let me know what y'all think

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-21 at 8.07.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-21 at 8.07.28 PM.png
    56.1 KB · Views: 357
Just had a quick glance, it's late, but it's looking better.
The field coil is there, which is good, but I believe it goes between the regulators green wire and ground, not green and brown.

Getting the starter to spin is pretty easy. Now you'll want to check for spark, then timing, then clean the carbs a few times, and then once more. :)
Do a compression test while you're at it.

-I don't believe that model has any safeties to stop you from starting in neutral, but you should be in neutral to start. :)
-Not sure which year the kickstand switch was added. I don't see it on the '79 wiring diagram in my Haynes manual.
-Clutch shouldn't make a difference either way.

Pretty sure any electronic safeties would be stopping the starter motor. Since it's going you're probably ok to look into other causes.

There are a lot of "no spark" questions on the forum. I'm not the best troubleshooter but someone's past experience might help.
Punch in "no spark" in the search box up top. Some of the threads get pretty in-depth.

Thank you

I has also acquired a 81' xs400 and put the stator cover from it, along with the stator coil from it on my 79' s400. Would this cause an issue? After research, I saw where the 79' uses points, and the 81' uses CDI? Anyways, I went ahead and just put the original stator back on for good measure.

Back