Windshield Replace

MrYeats

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I did this on my 83 xj550

I made my first windshield today and it turned out nice...I will get some pix on how I did it and for now I will tell about it.
I bought a stock fairing on ebay for $65 shipped. It is from a 82 550 Seca, so I knew it would fit my 83. The only drawback was that there was no windshield on the fairing, so I started poking around to find what to do next.
After reading about finding some clear 1/8" Plexiglas, I discovered a different, stronger, and more flexible product. That being Lexan or polycarbonate. It is at least 3 times stronger than plexi and takes cutting and drilling easier.
I got a 16x24 piece on ebay for $16.
I took a piece of poster paper and traced the pattern to cut the Lexan and traced it. Advice is to leave the protective film in place till the cutting is done. Good advice.
I cut the poster pattern out and placed it on the Lexan to mark it.
I did that then took a box cutter blade and scored a mark along the inked marking.
I then took my Dremel tool and cut out the pattern.
Using a clamp to hold it in place on the fairing, I drilled the first screw hole and put on a fastener and did this on the first 3 holes. I then moved the clamp to the opposite side and clamped the corner down.
This made it easier to continue to drill and fasten each hole in the order I had started. By the end hole and screw, it was a very nice fit.
I am impressed with how well the Lexan will bend to the shape of the fairing without distortion and can be done as I did, without heat.
Now I will remove it and polish the rough cut edges and reinstall after I paint the fairing

Pic 1 is the fairing as I received it.
Pic 2 is the poster paper cut out
Pic 3 is the Lexan after the first cut and loose fit
Pic 4 is the fitted piece, now to the paint booth
More pix later

Attachments

• 83 XJ 1.jpg
    83 XJ 1.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 83 XJ 3.JPG
    83 XJ 3.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 83 XJ 5.JPG
    83 XJ 5.JPG
    272.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 83 XJ 9.JPG
    83 XJ 9.JPG
    252.4 KB · Views: 89
Ok, at this stage, the fairing has been primed, painted gold metallic and got a couple coats of clear lacquer..From here taping and shoot semi transparent red over the top.\
When the masking is pulled off, there will be a red fairing with gold racing stripes to match the bike...
with a white primer and clear coated gold, The semi transparent red paint will allow light to penetrate and sort of glow...This bike out is the sun is visible for a looooonng way!...
can you spot the skull on the tank?

Attachments

• GEDC0013.JPG
    GEDC0013.JPG
    295.1 KB · Views: 92
  • GEDC0012.JPG
    GEDC0012.JPG
    270.3 KB · Views: 106
  • GEDC0014.JPG
    GEDC0014.JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 113
Back