Wire Wheel on Sealing Surface

ChrisValentine

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I'm cleaning a petcock for a rebuild, and the previous owner had used RTV sealer to attach it to the tank. The stuff was on there pretty good so I thought I'd hit it against the wire wheel on the bench grinder, and sure enough took it off instantly and all the dirt and it was nice and shiny again.

But now that I'm thinking about it, did that ruin the flatness for the seal against the tank? I hit the top end with the oval o-ring groove several times to get the RTV off. Is that enough to mess with the flatness or was it just taking off non-metal bits. Must I do something to reassure extra flat now?

thanks

You should have an oblong o-ring that seats in the top groove of the petcock mating face. That is what needs to be smooth for proper sealing. You probably didn't get in there with the wire bristles. But, in the future it's probably not a great idea to wire wheel these cast aluminum bits (includes carbs). The castings are quite soft. Better to make a baking soda blaster for these bits…

PS photos help tremendously when relaying issues.

Sorry didnt put a photo since there is no visual issues, its just a petcock, I was just not sure if it would need to be sanded or something before being pressed against thanks surface.

Unless you really damaged the tank with the wire wheel it should be fine. Without a picture we cannot say, however.

If the previous owner needed to use silicone to seal the petcock expect that you, as well, will need some to seal it up unless you have a fresh gasket of some kind.

I only wire wheeled the surface of the petcock not the tank. I think its fine. I was just not sure how much damage wire wheels really do if any

It depends what the wheel is made out of. Some are brass, some are steel, etc.

If there is damage your eyes should be able to detect it. My advice would be to look closely at the part. If it, by and large, looks undamaged it is probably undamaged. If it looks damaged odds are it is damaged.

If you want a better answer I am going to need a photo.

i94SzZP.jpg

The image.

With a new o-ring it should seal fine. This is where soda blasting should be done. It will make parts look like new without damaging the metal.

Back