Wire Wheel possibilities

twostall

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Wow, its been four years and I finally back on my Yamaha project. I would like to convert my 1978 XS400 to wire wheels from mags. A front wheel did not come with the bike I purchased.
Is it possible to transfer a disc or drum brake set up from another Yamaha? I believe Yamaguy55 said Buchanan is the place to pick up the correct wheel size (18's front and rear preferred).

Last edited:
Don't you mean 19 front, 18 rear?

See Mike's XS. Good enough stuff. If you're really serious, have Buchanan set you up. They will make/drill/supply anything you need. That way, you can get wide enough rims (don't overdo it) to fit better rubber. 2.15 front and 2.5 rear should be enough.

otherwise, see about finding some junkyard wheels for a pre-mag XS650. They have those really nice flanged AL rims.

Don't you mean 19 front, 18 rear?

See Mike's XS. Good enough stuff. If you're really serious, have Buchanan set you up. They will make/drill/supply anything you need. That way, you can get wide enough rims (don't overdo it) to fit better rubber. 2.15 front and 2.5 rear should be enough.

otherwise, see about finding some junkyard wheels for a pre-mag XS650. They have those really nice flanged AL rims.

I'm so new to this that I may need to bounce a few ideas off your guys. Yeah I want to go to the more traditional wire wheels and I do want to work with the stance of the bike so I was hoping to incorporate a shorter spring in the front forks, increase the shock and spring length in the rear and then go to a one inch larger wheel in the rear that the front. What would be the issues with increasing the larger rear wheel?

That may give you an evil handling beast. Get the fork angle too steep and reduce the trail, and it gets real twitchy, real quick. Good luck not crashing.
I'm not sure I'd do that. Unless it will be stuffed and mounted, not ridden.

Thanks Yamaguy55:

I found a real nice XS execution from Spin Cycle Industries. Emma INXS. Really like the features they incorporated. 18's it is all around.

Back