wires/coils/reg/rectifier

bannisterxs400

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
ok Me again ....looking for alittle help

As mentioned i picked up a 79 that has been totally changed into a bobber and a homemade wiring harness to boot...

So im fairly mechanically inclined but i get confused sometimes.

I have 4 wires going to the battery area..

1 from the rectifier (Red)
1 from the voltage reg (Brown)
1 from the kill switch (red) which is from the fuses and light
1 from the ignition

which goes where.

also i put some gas in it and tried to kick it over, nothing but compression and air from the exhaust... I think i may have coil trouble so i ordered some.

they came with a yellow wire and black wire?
old coils have orange and red

so is it correct saying that the neg on the coil, picks up the condenser and then goes to the contact points.

which wire is which on the new coils?

I may have bitten off more than i think buying this project bike but im trying ...

any help ?

I am not the most knowledgable on this subject but until someone else wanders in to help you out i suggest you take a look at the Tech Section and go through the Wiring Diagrams thread (http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4466) and see if you can figure it out yourself.

In regards to the coils, you should verify that you have ordered the correct coils for your bike..

So what year and model is your bike? and what coils did you order? (did you just order generic coils or did you order specific ones for your model year bike? Otherwise if they don't match resistance and impedance they may not work)

Back