Wiring/Controls Relocation Questions

MotorPsycho

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thoroughly enjoying reading you guys' posts and looking at the pictures. I have a few questions about wiring and relocation of controls/switches.

After looking at the wiring diagrams, am I to understand that if I want to relocate my switches and gauges from my handlebars, all I really need to do is identify the correctly colored wires, trace them back to where I want to relocate the switches or gauges, cut them or unplug them nearby, and install the new items and wire them up?

For example, I want my handlebars to be as close to bare as possible, and I'm thinking about moving everything to a control panel itself with almost everything together in one spot. The only thing I am going to leave on the handlebars are the horn and a turn signals on the left, and a headlight dimmer switch relocated on the right. Everything else will be on that one single panel: ignition, run/off switch, starter button on one row; a pull-type choke (maybe not on the panel but nearby); high beam indicator, neutral indicator, oil pressure indicator on a second row; turn signal indicators on a third row.

Should I unplug the wires (if possible) and then pull them back to the new location? Should I leave them as is and just tap into them with new connections? I'm not quite at the execution stage yet, but I believe in pre-planning and gathering knowledge.

SHOULD I LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE?! LOL!

it really is a matter of chasing the right wire and extending/relocating it.

need to ensure that connections are proper and not use those pre-insulated connectors or you'll regret it.

make sure switches are up to the amperage of the originals

it really is a matter of chasing the right wire and extending/relocating it.

need to ensure that connections are proper and not use those pre-insulated connectors or you'll regret it.

make sure switches are up to the amperage of the originals

Thanks for the response. May start that this weekend, that is, if I can get the beast to run for a change and get that issue straight.

Back