Wiring up Pamco ignition on xs360

aus_xs360

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi All!
after getting annoyed with points I pulled the pin and bought a Pamco ignition for my '77 xs360 (same as for an xs400).

I plan on using the stock coils as they are fine and I didn't get the E-advancer so install should be pretty easy.
-green wire to left and right coils ( as per original points)
-black to earth
-red to power connection on coils

my question is related to the red wires. In regards to connecting to the coils, does it matter if I connect the red wire with the existing red wire coming from the coils (at point 2 in attached picture), which then connects to the red/white wire on my harness? OR does the red wire from the Pamco need to connect to the terminal of the coil (at Point 1in the picture ) where the red wire on the coil comes out.

I've also knocked up a quick diagram (attached).

I'm an absolute noob at wiring so best to ask the experts :thumbsup:

Attachments

• coil.jpg
    coil.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 499
  • Pamco diagram.jpg
    Pamco diagram.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 597
I would not think it matters on where the connection is made as long as its the correct wire.

Wouldn't strictly matter where you connect but I usually try to avoid making permanent changes.
If possible you could use stock bullet connectors, making a short Y-splitter that fits between the wiring harnless and one of the coil connectors.

do you reckon it would be alright to combine the red wire on the pamco and the red wire on the coil into one the one bullet? currently the red wires from both coils (with bullets) come together on a Y-splitter connected to the red/white wire. this might save on having a Y-splitter for each coil that then connects to yet another Y-splitter

That'd work too but then you have the Pamco somewhat permanently attached to the coil. Less work and maybe no big deal.
There's only one red wire to the Pamco, right? You'd only need one new Y-splitter.

yea one per cylinder/coil. which would mean, and correct me if Im wrong, 1 splitter per coil to connect each pamco red wire and then the Y-splitter that's already there to connect to the red/white wire. which is fine, just means there would be three splitters instead of one.

you're right though about being permanently connected to the coils though if I solder them together to save on Y-splitters. attached is what I was thinking of doing but I might re-think it now :umm:

Attachments

• Pamco diagram 2.jpg
    Pamco diagram 2.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 393
Ah, I see what's going on. I didn't realize the Pamco "red" wire mentioned in the first post is two separate wires. Was picturing just one red wire to the unit.
They're just the power supply to each half of the Pamco ignition. They don't necessarily have to be connected at the coils or even separately. A single extra Y-splitter, with one branch of the Y having both Pamco reds would do the same thing.
Your diagram would work fine. Looks like it may be the more convenient option for wire routing since the wires come out of the Pamco in two separate cables.

thanks BBS, I might have a think about how to do it without it being so permanently connected to the coils though, will be a fun mission for the weekend!

mission update: wired up the Pamco ignition on the weekend, turned the key, pressed the button and WOOOOO shes fired straight up! I'll provide some pictures of the setup and some additional instructions for anyone who comes across this thread in the future while looking for instructions on how to install one of these ignitions.

mission update: wired up the Pamco ignition on the weekend, turned the key, pressed the button and WOOOOO shes fired straight up! I'll provide some pictures of the setup and some additional instructions for anyone who comes across this thread in the future while looking for instructions on how to install one of these ignitions.

Good to hear it worked out!

Back