Wont go into first gear sometimes

kevingkruse

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Sometime my bike won't go into first, it just stays in neutral, usually after its warmed up. I can get it back into first if I start from second and go a little then it can go into first. Also, very rarely it might drop back into neutral from first when I'm accelerating, or just sitting at a stoplight. Could it be my transmission, clutch, or something else?

You have problem with sprocket on first gear. If theree would be problem with clutch, it would happen in all gears not just in first. Also if it jumps out from gear it is definitely sprocket. Good luck with repairing.

If this problem happens when downshifting as you approach a stop sign, when it is in neutral and you are stopped try simply letting the clutch lever out then pulling back in and shift into first. I will have that same problem and that always works.

Well I've been using my bike more and more, a good 60 miles a day, and I'm pretty sure its not helping any... it pretty much happens every time I stop, sometimes I can rev the engine up really high when in neutral then it will go into first, but when I take off it slips back to neutral. I pretty much have to start from second now. I have another 400 laying around for parts, has double the mileage, so I hope its first gear is still intact, I would like to try and get into the transmission on that one first to see if I can do it, and if its good, replace it with my current bike. If I can do it without messing something up badly, I would really like to do a write up on rebuilding the transmission.

@226dark
I can downshift into first if I'm going fast enough, but once I hit a certain low speed, it won't go. Ill try that thing with the clutch today to see if it works for me.

Slips back into neutral possibly needs adjusting. Part 1 in the link diagram. http://www.stadiumyamaha.com/pages/OemParts#/Yamaha/XS400-2E_-_1978/SHIFTER_2/XS400-2E_(1978_MOTORCYCLE)/SHIFTER_2_(XS400-2E_-_1978) On right side of motor, would have to remove the gasket-sealed clutch cover as Drewpy mentions:

I would check the gear change shaft pawl. Its inside the clutch cover on the left side behind the lickshaft.

You will need to drain the oil out first so its best to do when you service the bike.

it might just need setting up or there may be an issue with return spring. either way, you won't know till you look.

Well I guess I found the problem. Kinda stupid, the shifter was hitting the exhaust at the last little bit, I noticed it before but never thought it was the problem cas it could only move just a little more down if I pulled the shifter out a little. So I heated it and bent it, doesn't do it anymore. Maybe I should put this on the Tell On Yourself thread...

I like when I do things like this because then I don't have to do major work lol. Glad you found the problem!

I'm confused . . . but if it worked.
When I got new riding boots had to remove shifter (10mm bolt and off) then sneak it up one notch so I could slip my shifting foot under without twisting my foot 90 degrees down to dig under it to shift.

Well I guess I found the problem. Kinda stupid, the shifter was hitting the exhaust at the last little bit, I noticed it before but never thought it was the problem cas it could only move just a little more down if I pulled the shifter out a little. So I heated it and bent it, doesn't do it anymore. Maybe I should put this on the Tell On Yourself thread...

I love it when the solution is quick, simple, and does not take a ton of $$$$$. :thumbsup: I wonder how many people after reading this will look at their shifter next time they go out to their bikes? I know I will tomorrow morning.

Nope, I just had that off yesterday, to replace the clutch rod seal. There is only one spot I can put it in with out bouncing into the stator housing. I suspect I will be taking it off in a week or so to examine if the new seal is working. Tobie

Back