Wont turn over, Gas leak out of air filter

CaptainDizle

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im new to the motorcycle scene and I'm no mechanic. I bought a 1983 Yamaha that was in a wreck and was a police auction. I dont know how long it was sitting in this guys backyard. I got it for a great deal and though it would make a great starter bike. So when i got the bike it ran fine for the first few days or so. It would idle high and low and shut off when not warm. It ended up shutting off on me one day to work, it wouldnt start after that. Then after I loaded it onto the truck then unloaded it some gas (im guessing) came out of the air filter. It ran for a bit after that but oil was pouring out of the engine. The seals need to be replaced, the oil rig as well, and the carb may be flooded. I basically need to know if anyone has experienced anything like that or if anyone can offer their services and maybe get together with me and teach me a few things.

Attachments

• 2012-05-11_10-25-56_618.jpg
    2012-05-11_10-25-56_618.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 434
  • 2012-05-11_10-26-07_717.jpg
    2012-05-11_10-26-07_717.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 504
  • 2012-05-11_10-26-24_619.jpg
    2012-05-11_10-26-24_619.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 425
Clean/adjust the carbs, change the oil seals/gaskets, change the oil.

If it won't turn over you may be hydro-locked.

These types of problems are very common, almost standard.

It's a neat looking bike though.

It's a hard tailed Maxim. Gives me hope for what mine will look like when it's done. Nice bike.

bcware has it right. Start with the carbs, seals, and oil. And check your clearances on your valves - often out of spec on these bikes.

Gas out of the air filters means incorrect float level in the carb(s). Was happening to mine, and both floats were way out of wack.

It could be the float level, but sometimes floats just stick for no good reason. I've had it happen to every carbed bike I've spent time around. Often a quick tap with a screw driver handle will knock a float loose. Alternatively simply taking the floats/needle off and putting them back often solves the problem. Sometimes there is junk preventing the needle from sealing, the needle or seat could be worn, and sometimes--like you mentioned--the float height is wrong.

Bringing back an old thread!

Bcware, I have been having really annoying problems with my carbs letting fuel into the crankcase. I've cleaned the carbs for 8 hours in an ultrasonic cleaner, replaced the needle and seat with a set from Mikesxs and adjusted the float height to 26mm. I'm still flooding out. I will try those things you said and see if anything works, thanks

Any luck? Ive been having the same problem. I seen a trick about polishing the inside of the needle seat to prevent it from sticking. something I found on youtube. Im going to try it tomorrow.

Back