Wont turn over with cylinder head cover on

jinxlovesmax

XS400 Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i've run into a problem while putting my engine back together. When i was putting the cylinder head cover back on, it wouldn't go on flat. it would wiggle and teeter totter like there's something too tall inside. i'm pretty sure i put everything back together correctly. so after wiggling everything around and taking it off and on countless times, i gently kicked the bike over and it went down flat. so i bolted it down and tried kicking it again. first kick, CLUNK. wont kick anymore. something in there is not right. What did i do wrong? Help!!

Last edited:
The cover will not sit flat while not bolted down due to the valve springs. When bolted down the valve springs press against the rocker arms in the cover and open and close the valves depending what stroke the bike is on. If you turn you engine over by hand with a wrench on the crank you should be able to find a spot where the cover sits flat (just about) so you can tighten the bolts in the correct sequence without too many problems.

Yep, thats what i did. turned it and got it to sit flat, bolted it down, tried to turn it over again and it kicks over once, then on the second kick, bam, it wont budge.

no, after bolting the cover down, it will only turn about once and then it will lock up. plugs in or out. without the cover on it will turn over fine.

Does the cam have to be put back in the same position that it was taken out in? Because i did not pay attention to that! Could that be the problem?

Last edited:
....Does the cam have to be put back in the same position that it was taken out in? Because i did not pay attention to that! Could that be the problem?

The cam must be indexed to the crank. You very well may have the cam in so a valve is hitting a piston.

Does the cam have to be put back in the same position that it was taken out in? Because i did not pay attention to that! Could that be the problem?

Did you follow the proceedure in the manual for re-fitting the cam and setting the timing? If not then there is a good chance the stroke and timing is completely out and as HoughMade says a valve is open with the piston in TDC and smacking together.

If you've found this out by turning the engine over by hand then you should be ok. If you've been turning over on the starter and using more force then there is the possibility that the valves have bent :eek: To make sure and be safe it may be best to remove the head and check the valves and seats for damage. When re-fitting the head please follow the proceedure in the manual to get the timing correct.

Back