XS Engine in LS2

Jake Schmitt

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
I recently got a '72 Yamaha LS2 from a guy a bit north. I was looking for an XS, but he had this bike and gave it to me for free. It was his grandpa's, and it was given to him. He didn't have the time or motivation to do anything with it, so he gave it to me, on the condition that he get to see it ride. It's a rare bike, and it has tons of cafe potential.

However, the engine, frankly, is being a b*tch. I have everything off the frame, the engine is out, the gas tank is filled with The Works(Yes, the toilet cleaning stuff. The tank went from solid rust inside to nice metal underneath). Every single screw on the engine is seized. Every. Single. Screw.

I've soaked them in PB, I've soaked them in PB then applied heat, I've soaked them in PB, applied heat, and a hammer. I've only been able to get any out by slotting them with a cut-off wheel and using a flat blade and PB. The kick starter gear is stripped, it won't shift up, and I can't get a cover off the case, and the screwdrivers are starting to mar up the gasket surface. I still want to fix the engine, as it's numbers-matching(000561 out of 012000 ;)), but due to the availability of the parts, that may not happen.

I tracked down some of the engine parts on eBay, but as you can imagine, they're ridiculously overpriced. So I'm just thinking of doing an engine swap to an XS/similar engine. I'm not scared of fabrication, I'm just trying to get an idea of exactly how much I'd be fabricating, if I'd have to merge the wiring harness, things of that order. I appreciate any help I can get!

Hey don't trash that LS2 They're a great little buzz around bike if you can get it to run properly. I've been tinkering on 1 for the past 2 years and love the way it handles. It's light enough to toss with near wreckless abandon yet sturdy enough to run errands. Kinda like a scooter on steroids. If you need some parts I have a donor bike with a good but dismantled engine. I might even entertain selling the whole package. I am a bit further north of you in east central Minnesota.

Back