xs360/400 carbs from mikesxs.com

ensoroni

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Has anyone bought the xs400 specific carburetor set from mikesxs.com? I spent the $500 and was really excited when they arrived. I popped them on and I'm definitely having an imbalance in there. My issue is I can not figure out which screw is the idle or the air, etc. They did not come with a manual or instructions and have not gotten an answer when I ask mikes.

Has anyone ever used them and know which is which? I've toyed with a couple of them that seemed to make no difference and the bike won't even idle anymore.

I am going to redo the timing and see if that helps, but i doubt that's the issue.

I was really hoping that it would be an easy upgrade. :banghead:

I'm not familiar with them but they are knockoff Keihin PWK carbs. A search on this forum for PWK will get you some info & opinions.

Should be PWK tuning guides online.

Try to get the bike idling then figure out how to balance them.

Send them back fast as possible and get your money back.

And I'm being absolutely serious.

If you are dead set on running them, you'll need to replace EVERYTHING inside. No way around it. A real set of PWK's will cost less and be ready to run out of the box.

These are crappy OKO carbs that Mikes XS charges 4 times as much as they are worth.

I use them. They suck.

GREAT...
There is an "absolute no return" policy on them.. Shit, are they really that bad? What did you have to replace inside?

I don't really have the money to keep buying parts, I was hoping this was my savior to get back to riding

The 2 into 1 cable can just be thrown in the garbage. You either need to get a decent one made from Motion Pro or switch to a dual pull throttle and use single cables to each carb.

The jets are the main culprit that need to be replaced. You need to get genuine Keihin mains and pilots, or else you will never get the carbs to meter equally.

There is an upgraded 'jet block' gasket that OKO recently started making. You need to replace the one in each carb with the upgrade, or you will have major issues with main/pilot cross talk.

The power jet setup is junk and impossible to tune. Block off the barb on the bowl, plug the hole on the top of the carb, and just tune the main for normal use. Or spend another $100 to $200 on a proper powerjet setup if you really need it(you don't).

The pilot screw, spring, and oring need to be replaced with the upgraded OKO version. The ones that come on the Mikes XS set are old style and don't adjust properly.

That will get you where you need to be. The needle that comes on them is actually sized ok for the application, so no need to replace it.

For the jet block gasket and pilot screws-
http://www.mid-atlantictrials.com/K-101-Parts.html

For Genuine jets-
http://www.pjmotorsports.com/keihin-jets.html

For throttle cable- (best way to do it is send them the carbs and the throttle and tell them how long you need the cable to be. They will size the sleeve and internal cable to the proper length for full throttle use and they use a QUALITY junction block)
http://www.motionpro.com/

Good idea to add barbs on the manifolds for synching, because if these aren't even you'll never get the thing running well. Oh and take them FULLY apart and remove all the glue(yes, glue) that the factory used to keep gaskets in place. It comes apart when fuel touches it and clogs passages.

Some advice.... Even though they say no returns, email them and explain that the carbs are listed as PWK and thats what you thought you were getting. There is only one PWK, and that's Keihin. So since they sent you knock offs, you should be entitled to your money back. I'd ask them for a fair exchange on the real set they sell(just pay the difference, it's worth it) or exchange for VM's.

If those are the same POS Mike's sold as XS650 carbs, they make good paper weights. A very smart fellow with an XS650 bought a set of those and spent over $600 trying to get them to work. They set on a shelf.
If the XS400 has the same carb spacing as the XS650 you might try Kawasaki EX500 carbs. They are a vey good upgrade over the Stock XS650 carbs.
Leo

They are the exact same carbs as the 650 ones Leo, the same junk. I can't believe they still sell them for that absurd price. They are $30 a piece direct from OKO.

Back