XS360 Front-end swap

Demetrius

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new here.

A few months ago I bought a cheap XS360 '77. It seemed like a great deal at the time, but now I'm starting to doubt whether or not it really was. So far I figured out that not only a bunch of parts are completely eaten by rust, but also that the fork tubes are bent... Bummer!

As I live in the Netherlands, the chances of me finding the same tubes are next to nothing. Thus, I was looking around a bit and saw some thread here stating that an Aprillia front-end would bolt straight in with an XS400. Does this also apply to the XS360?

If not, what would you recommend? I could get the tubes straightened out, but I'd rather swap them out for a different pair of tubes.

Thanks in advance.

I fitted aprilia front forks on my xs250 I think the 250 360 and 400 share the same frame so I would think they would fit yours also might have to check the years mines an 81 all you need to do is swap one headstock bearing and the wheel bearings to accept the bigger axle or fit the aprilia wheel that way you can use the aprilia speedo drive otherwise your goin digital or awkward fabrication on the original xs speedo drive

It may be easier/cheaper to get some new 33mm fork tubes. Welcome to the forum, we need pics of your bike:)

I will post pics soon.

Just wondering. I found a RS125 front for $200, but without a caliper, rim etc. Do I need it with a caliper and rim or do the XS original parts fit the fork?

You could look for new fork tubes ob ebay.de, I guess most sellers should be willing to ship to the netherlands and XS 400 parts are not that rare in germany

Okay, will look for that too. But will any XS400 fork do a straight bolt on for an XS360? I found some forks for the XS400 12E model, but those are all '82/83 (if I'm not mistaken). If they're 33mm in diameter, they'll surely fit and lengthwise it'd be okay too I guess. But will the caliper line up correctly?

Just saw that there are some rust spots on the chrome. Just look for "XS 400 -dohc -12e" or "XS 360", you should find some stuff

Good to see people here are a bit more helpful than on the dutch motorforum :)

I'd go for one of the ones mitch pointed out!

Contacted the seller, waiting for reply.

Edit: Appears it has been sold overnight... Might possibly buy the one which had a little rust on it. It doesn't bother me that it has a little rust, usually it's easily cleaned with some steel wool.

Last edited:
As long as it's not in the travel area of the fork seals it would be fine.

Back