Fegelein Der GroBe

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi, I’m Grant and I got a 76 Xs360. It was my dads, and in 1989 was stored. In January of this year, I pulled it out and started work. In august, it ran just fine for the first time. However, it started sputtering and getting progressively harder to start and dies with throttle. Now it won’t even start, except the occasional backfire. Until recently , both pistons had spark. Now the right side has died, and the engine still won’t even try to rev at all. The carbs are fine and have been torn into multiple times, and it ran on all the original parts until it died the same day. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Good gas
Good battery... like get a new one.
New points/condenser

The points get nasty and corroded after a while.

The XS bikes require a good battery to start and run.

Do not keep the run switch at the run position unless you are about to start. Keeping the switch on keeps the coils powered and they will burn out if the bike isnt at least idling.

The carbs are probably not fine, i clean mine once a season and use 2 fuel filters.

The stock petcocks are not that good so check for good fuel flow too.

I cleaned the carbs last night, installed a new battery this last Monday, and I agree with the points.

The main issue is why did it run, and then choke itself to death. I have video if you might need it.

Fuel flow is very good, because I’ve spilled gas on myself more times than I can count. I’ve checked to see if I could pull a “Around Maginot” and wire past the cable to the points. Only heavy sparking when in contact with anything. I’m assuming my points are bad. I’ll look into new points/condenser. Thanks.

Edit: I’ve lost all spark due to a short circuit somewhere. The coils are heating up as well as the fuse box. Any suggestions on where to look?

Last edited:
Back