XS400 frame ideas

Hoffmannj

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking about my project, when I realized that my buddy I had gotten my bike from, in pieces, had cut the swing arm mounts off! He had the idea to BOB the bike and make it a hard tail. That being said, does anyone have an idea of not only make some new ones but what i could do for it to be beneficial? Extend them or shorten them anything that anyone else saw a problem with? I am going to be turning this pile of parts into a Cafe Racer, would there be anything I could do to benefit my build later on with the swing arm mounts? Or should I just accept it for what it is, try to find some stock ones to weld back on? Maybe make it a mono shock in the rear? Please! Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Your best bet would be to go through and look at the build threads that are here on the site.Theres alot of them so that should give you a direction and the inspiration you need to help with your project.

If the frame was cut to be hard tailed then your stuck with that choice unless you can find someone with a frame jig and another good frame to get it all strait.

No. The pivot points for the swingarm have to be exactly right. Close isn't close enough. A 1mm misalignment at the pivot will have the rear tire significantly off center.

I spent a couple hours sanding 2 hardened steel washers on a reference plate with 2000 grit wet paper to get them exactly the same thickness. And when I say exactly, I'm talking to 3 decimal points on my digital calipers. This ensured that the swingarm would be perfectly centered in my frame when I was installing the rear suspension from a 2006 Ninja 250 into my Maxim - and the frame had not been molested.

Without a frame jig, your bike WILL be out of alignment and WILL have dangerous handling quirks.

I have an extra frame w/title that I'm looking to sell. Still has swingarm mount, but it is missing a sidecover tab or two. PM me if interested.

I saw on xs650.com that a guy did a hardtail and then went back to a swingarm. It was a while ago, but it is possible to do.

Frame jig or get a new frame. I would think you could find a titled frame for about $100. You used to be able to around here anyway.

I am a happy guy. So I was looking at installing the swing arm, does the swing arm pivot bolt have any washers that goes between the frame and the swingarm? any detailed diagrams? I saw the one in the frame section of the manuals but it didn't show the blow up of the whole frame and swing arm, just the swing arm and then just the frame. that being said I am unsure. Can anyone help?

Did you try looking up a swingarm on a parts website? Many of them have the exploded diagram that shows all of the ancillary parts.

Back