xs400 restoration (oh yeah I am 17)

Isnt this the truth I find most teens these days to be very lazy.

what teens need is a purpose in life.

I am a scout leader and the kids there really enjoy everything they do and taught. we encourage them to be good citizens and to do things for themselves.

even my daughter is a leader and she's been doing it for 2 years now!

Thats pretty cool and good inspiration for anyone just getting interested in our classic bikes.You will enivitably want it to go faster as you get used to it.:)

Hey Phate,

you do a realy nice job.
You keep the parts tidy, handle them correct and you seem to have a plan.
Ever thought to become a mechanic?

A mechanic doesn´t earn a lot money, but he´s rich man. Rich of life.

thanks rainhard and i have thought of it but I turned it down to become an engineer. They also don't make too much money but they are also rich in life.

Hey all gonna post another update as I am almost done. I wish the tank came out a bit better but spray paint sucks. Anyways thanks to you guys the bike runs pretty well but I am going to have to fully tune it after I put the exhaust on (its running lean right now due to the open heads). Also I bought the xs650 handlebar controls and when they come in i will post if they are plug-n-play as that seems to be a debate. and of course the pics

Attachments

• photo (43).jpg
    photo (43).jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 215
Thanks flexeril, I will try to get a better picture later. I received my xs650 handle bar controls from mikesxs and please note that despite looking exactly like the xs400 controls they are not plug-n-play. Actually far from it as it took me the whole day of tracing wires and soldering connectors before I was finally able to plug it into my harness. At least now they look and work light-years better than the old ones. Unfortunately after a short victory ride my flasher unit broke :banghead: but a quick trip to autozone and the problem was resolved.

Phate you done an out standing job on your restoration.I have question is that color blue a custom?I painted my original tank yamaha blue but after destroying my tank and replacing it the new tank and side covers are candy Appl red Looks nice.So now that you have restored this bike whats next in your future?

Thanks 1982400xs, I actually took your idea for the tank remember? I went to an automotive paint store and they mixed up a batch that matched my side covers (they still had their original paint in excellent condition). As for my future going to be an engineer with a side passion of motorcycles:bike:

looking good, have you tried cutting the paint colour down yet? if you get it flat and then 2 pack clear, it will be tough as nails.

I bought a 2 pack clear in aerosol cans BUT its highly toxic even spraying outside will affect passers-by, dogs/cats/gerbils etc

this is 2k on the little Gilera i'm doing atm, clear on steel

b1d08c8f.jpg

Thanks drewpy, and I spilled some gas on the tank (by accident) and despite being clear coated the paint was ruined :doh:. I could probably polish it out but i think its calling for a redo this time with a borrowed paint gun and a bit more patients.

Back