XS400 Starting problem solenoid or switch??

B8STJ

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Putting together an '81 XS400 barn find that was in a thousand pieces (most of all now in the right place), re-wired and ready to go, having an issue with starter, first thought was solenoid, so no have new one, still nothing thinking starter motor, all fine (hot wired to battery +/-, turned over) ground is good as still turns with only positive to battery. Handlebar push button switch is sending signal through to (at least the solenoid connector) when resistance testing but still nothing?. The only strange thing I thought is that when the ignitition is on, the blue/white & red/white wires from the starter button through to the solenoid are both live, all the time, I would expect one (probably the blue/white as its wired to the push button) to be switching +/- to enable the flow of current to the solenoid. What am I missing?

I have never done it. I would find one or look at the wiring diagram for your model and see what it would take.

Are you sure? It's a small gold metal box behind the carbs next to another one for the head light relay. This is for the e-start only NOT the ignition.

DSC03239.JPG

Are you sure? It's a small gold metal box behind the carbs next to another one for the head light relay. This is for the e-start only NOT the ignition.

View attachment 29334
Yeah I definitely have one it goes to my headlights. I have 4 wires running to it and the blue/black runs to my headlights. I used to have an electric start and I took it off.do I need it if I deleted my electric start?

Yeah I definitely have one it goes to my headlights. I have 4 wires running to it and the blue/black runs to my headlights. I used to have an electric start and I took it off.do I need it if I deleted my electric start?
No, you don't need the e-starter for the ignition to work. If you removed the solenoid you need to make sure the small red wire that goes into the harness still goes to the battery. Does the bike have power? If it does then you need to look at your ignition system. Points coils plugs type stuff.

Back