xs400

Ethanl

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
why does it seem more people build the sohc than the dohc on here or am I still to new to the group and looking is there advantages to one over the other? mine is a 5/82 titles 83 xs400 dohc

The dohc bikes have a mono shock and frame that make for modding the bike much more difficult. Also there are far more sohc bikes that where made.

Yes. These where a better made shock over the type used on the sohc bikes. Also the dohc bikes use 35mm fork tubes over 33mm tubes that are on the sohc bikes.

so a smother oe ride on the dohc until modified or aftermarket parts replaced oe on the sohc power wise or weight wise any difference?

The dohc has a bit more power 42-38hp or so. As for weight the sohc range from 350-375lbs (dry) depending on year/model. The dohc bikes are 375( dry) I think the seca models weighed a bit more.

as far as the weight mine went on a major diet its been turned into a scrambler style brat still has a few wiring issues to work out but maybe this weekend those will all be worked out and down the road I can go!

Attachments

• bike.PNG
    bike.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 395
The only thing I have to say about using stock suspension on a lightened bike is the ride will be very stiff. I took over 75lbs off my 80 and the ride was horrible. Every bump felt like a huge pot hole and the bike jumped all over the place. It was much quicker than before but the ride was just too much for anything over 50+mile runs. I put about 50lbs back on it and the ride was like butter. If I had put hi-end rear shocks on and a upgraded front end to handle the new weight it would have been ok. But to spend big $$$$ for such a old bike that I had not much money in, it was not worth it for me.

it cant be to bad I grew up riding dirt so I would think It would be ok but ill have to get it going down the road and see how it feels then how did you add back the weight put the old parts back on?

A dirt bikes suspension was made for the bikes weight. Yes I put most of the stock parts back on. The biggest issue is fixing/replacing frame parts I cut off the bike. I have found and welded most of them back on now. It's your bike do what you like. But if you have never rode it in it's stock setup you will never know how well it works. I had something to compare and the difference was huge.

that's true I never rode it in stock form and will never know the difference but having it bouncing on the road also isn't a good thing some thing you think can be adjusted by tire pressures? and in a 200lb guy so I may be ok

Stick with stock tire pressure. The psi the bike calls for not the tire. I am a 175 lb guy so 25 lbs off the bike wont affect much but 75lbs.... You will just have to see.

You will have to look in the manual. There is a download in the forum for it. All mine are sohc bikes.

Back