xs500 brat..

RecoveringA55hole

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi, I picked up a 1978 xs500 for a few hundred bucks, everything runs great so far. I want to try to build a little "brat" style bike. Just had a couple beginner questions.

This is kind of what im shooting for, but I I want a different style seat and I want it to be lower!
SR-2.jpg

My questions, Is the an extended swing arm? If so where the hell do I find them, I tried search everywhere online for them!

Other question, would if look goofy if I welded the pipe right above the airfilter to place my seat there?

Also, shocks, what size would be good for what Im trying to do?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum man.

I'll try to answer your questions first, then give my opinion (if it matters....lol). You aren't going to find an aftermarket extended swingarm for your bike. Your best bet is to extend it yourself, or you may do some more research as to retrofitting another model's swingarm to your frame. To answer your second question (if I'm understanding it correctly. that is), is no....you wouldn't look goofy with the upper tubes there. Google "drop-seat XS650" and you should find plenty of pics of bikes with frames like that. As to your third question...If you plan to extend your swingarm, the stocks shocks can be kept. They will just lay at more of an angle than they are at now. This will also lower the bike, which is what you want.

Ok, so now for my honest opinion.....lol Personally, I would try to sell the XS500 and either pick up a 400, or a 650 would be even better. The aftermarket for the 400 is slim, and for the 500...even slimmer. An XS650 would be your best bet. Now again, this is just an opinion! No offense, but from your questions, it seems that this may be pretty new to you. If that's true, I think building an XS500 is going to get you in over your head. Now again, that is just my opinion. Either way, if you decide to build the 500, post up a build thread and we all will help as much as possible here. Good luck man!

i hate when HT gets firt post. because he always says everything i was gonna say, and then some lol.
but in all honesty, you should do what you want, but there is almost NO aftermarket support of the xs400 and the xs500 is even more slim. just know that going in, you may have to pay a lot of money for parts and you may not even find them quickly it might take you 2 months to find a piston, and another month to find a side cover ya know? but bottom line is do what you feel comfortable doing. and as always, welcome to the forum!!!

i hate when HT gets firt post. because he always says everything i was gonna say, and then some lol.
but in all honesty, you should do what you want, but there is almost NO aftermarket support of the xs400 and the xs500 is even more slim. just know that going in, you may have to pay a lot of money for parts and you may not even find them quickly it might take you 2 months to find a piston, and another month to find a side cover ya know? but bottom line is do what you feel comfortable doing. and as always, welcome to the forum!!!
Sorry buddy! haha

Thanks guys. I am new to this, but I have to learn somehow. I am goi g to end up buying a. 650 too just looking for one in my area. The budget and time isn't a big issue for tehe 500, I have some good patiences .

Anyone have any good links or advice on extending my swing arms out a little?

Thanks guys. I am new to this, but I have to learn somehow. I am goi g to end up buying a. 650 too just looking for one in my area. The budget and time isn't a big issue for tehe 500, I have some good patiences .

Anyone have any good links or advice on extending my swing arms out a little?
If budget and time are on your side, then go for it man!

The bike in the picture, it's a sr400/500, correct?
It could be a xs650 swingarm mounted on it and not the original extended.

If you got time and money, why settle for one bike? The more the merrier. :)
so go for it. :)

The bike in the picture, it's a sr400/500, correct?
It could be a xs650 swingarm mounted on it and not the original extended.

If you got time and money, why settle for one bike? The more the merrier. :)
so go for it. :)
I'm pretty sure it is, now that I look closer. Looks like it has one cylinder to me...

If so, the aftermarket is a little better for the SR.

Of the XS400, XS650 and the SR400/500 the XS400 already has the longest stock swingarm. If you want a direct replacement I think the Yammie YX600 Radian is about the only one to fit. Its longer and has a box section profile so its really popular with the street/dirt tracker riders looking to convert their Sr500's or XS650's so they are quite hard to find (in UK anyway).

Joe Wiseguy on the TCU sells stretched and braced swingarms for the XS650 (I think Travis has one) and I'm sure he could do a XS400. He has also posted a how to on one of his build threads here from about post 4 onwards, if you fancy having a go yourself.

If you do document it for the tech section.

If you plan to kong the frame and stretch the swingarm I would check your riding position and ride height after this before worrying about buying shorter shocks too soon.

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

I'm going to attempt to lengthen it my self. I'm going to study up on it for a few days, make sure I'm doing everything right and figuring out how much stretch. Any recommendations? I see a lot of ppl doing a 4 inch street.

Thanks for the info guys

That is one sweet bike. I never heard of a XS500? There was a TX500 8 valve twin, but this is not it. Is it a 500 single? Then it's either a SR500, XT500 or TT500. Lots of support for those engines.

That is one sweet bike. I never heard of a XS500? There was a TX500 8 valve twin, but this is not it. Is it a 500 single? Then it's either a SR500, XT500 or TT500. Lots of support for those engines.

Different markets had different designations for the same bike, it was called the XS500 in some. It often causes confusion.

Phew, I didn't get the wrong end of the stick :laugh:

Tidy bike for the price, look forward to seeing your progress ...... :D

notorious head warpers...look for leaks and a missing head air scoop...look at a schematic on bikebandit.com if you don't know WTF I'm talking about

very nice. looks clean. why does everyone luck out with the clean bikes for good prices and i got mine for 150 dirty as hell. lol i love those tanks. really nice lines. looking forward to the progress

Back