XS650 to XS400 Compatible Parts?

cody1awesome

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm about to start rebuilding my swingarm and I've been on Mike's XS, but a lot of the parts I need, like the pivot pin, are listed as being for the XS650. Are swingarm components compatible with the 400? Is there a list somewhere that names off the parts that are interchangeable? It would help a lot when I'm looking for parts.

Are swingarm components compatible with the 400?

This question came up here before and there was no simple answer to it. I believe some 400 models have some parts interchangeable with some 650 models. So be careful.

I guess I'll just have to go with some trial and error. I'm pretty sure the bronze bushings will fit, but I need a pivot pin and possibly a collar, and those are pretty hard to find for my 78, even with eBay.

The sleeve and bushings will work for the sohc xs400's. The seals and bolt will not.

XSChris, that's one of the parts I was looking at, so I might be doing pretty good. The rest of the stuff, except the pivot pin, looks to be fairly easy to find. I'm hoping to get this bike up and running in time for summer.

16VGTIDave, I'll do just that. I didn't even think of trying to match up the part numbers. That's what I get for spending too much time in a cold garage.

I'm in the market for an xs650 now,

but i was wondering, how different is it working on a xs650 vs an xs400/360? i've read here and on xs650.com that parts arn't that compatible, but are the basic maintenance steps the same?

if used the same logic i used with my xs360, would i be able to figure it out?

The xs650 is almost as easy to work on as the xs360/400. There are waaaay more parts for them and performance upgrades available. I have had a few but still preferred the xs400 over them. They weigh 100-125lbs more, the stock setup only makes about 5-7hp more. They do make more torque ( 40 or so and the xs400 makes about 23). The xs650 vibes a lot more than the xs400/360. As for the motor, issues with cam chain guides wearing out or falling apart is a problem. Having to manually adjust the cam chain is a pain. The charging systems are worse than the xs400s' by far. All the common issues a stock bike can be fixed with money and time. So if you can find a good low mileage xs650 for cheap and are willing to drop a K or two in it to make all the upgrades then your good. Keeping a bike stock is ok also but they are getting hard to find.

Very simple to work on. Set up well the vibes aren't to bad. It's a rocket compared to my xs400. The tq is a huge factor in that. It overall a big bike compared to the 400. The charging system is blown way out of proportion. I have 3 good stock rotors. Never had one fail. Best thing is upgrade to a solid state regulator and new rectifier. Buy a pamco if it's a points model. Cam chain adjustment takes no time at all...not a big deal. Front guide should be an oem one....don't buy mikes ones. Engine has to come out to do the guide though. Easy job though.

thanks for the reply guys.

this second bike is going to be more of a bobber/chopper for me. I was looking at a few xs650 and a few cb750s.

CDNTX, what was that you mentioned at the end about the engine coming out? that's the level of garage work that i may not be able to do, due to my limited toosl (mainly no lift).

anyways. i was looking to spend $2800 on a working bike.

Engine has to come out for front guide. No need for a lift. Extra set of hands to help you can get it out easy. My dad helped me. Or. Lay it on its side and pull all the motor mount bolts out.

You would have to pull the top end of the motor apart to get to the front cam guide. The motor weighs a lot more than the xs400 motor. I think they are around 170lbs. The xs400 motor is about 120. All I know is they are hard to pick up:laugh: You can lay the frame on it's side to put them in but you need to have a pretty much bare frame to make it easy. For you price range you should be able to find a nice stock one. Check out the xs650.com site for more info:wink2:

Back