1976 XS360 Scrambler Build

nickklugs

Seems legit
Reaction score
I think it's about time for me to start a dang build thread.

I have a 76" XS 360-2d. I bought it for $40 off Craigslist about a year ago. The bike had sat in this persons drive way for 5 years without a cover or tarp or anything, to add to that apparently they found it in San Fransisco in an abandoned lot and it was last registered in 92, so I don't think that it had run in a loonnngggg time. I then cleaned the carbs and roughly synced them, new fuel line and filter, cleaned and set the points and set timing, adjusted valves (or actually didn't as they were still withing spec:thumbsup:), slapped in a new battery, changed the oil and filter, broke the lock on the gas tank and cleaned it a little and she fired up. So far I Haven't gone more then 25MPH up and down the street but that's good enough because I had wires sticking out all over the place, it didn't have keys and the wiring was all cracked so I Jerry-rigged up basic wiring to power the ignition (no charging or anything).

Since then it sat in my backyard under a tarp while I worked on other project bikes. One day while cleaning the backyard I was looking at it and thinking it would be cool to see an xs360 as a light dual sport fun off-road machine. At first I was just going to upgrade to longer rear shocks and get new progressive springs for the front end and call it a day, but then I saw a 1991 KX250 frame with swing arm and rear shock, full rear wheel, set of 91' forks with triple clamps and a 93' set of forks with triple clamps all for $100. Heck fire! I proceeded to get everything. I mocked up the swing arm and it actually fits quite well, the XS pivot bolt is .7mm to wide in dia. and the KX swing arm is a mm to small in width where the pivot bolt is so I need to make some spacers and get the inner races of the swing arm bearings machined. I went with the 93' front end because it was a little beefier and they looked cooler :hump:. All I think I need are some different bearings and the stem modified a tiny bit along with a spacer and it should be pretty sweet.

Last edited:
Here it is all mocked up. I raised the back of the tank and tilted the bike back a little bit in order for the shock to fit. I will be making a new subframe.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 376
I will also be trying to use the stock xs wheels because I like the look of the drum brakes and besides, who needs brakes that work?

Just a little update. I ordered the wrong steering bearings and after checking they don't seam to have the right sizes, so I have decided to use the stock bearings and get the races machined a little. I can't do any machining or anything till my friend gets back in a few days :thumbsdown:.

:shootme: So it's been a while. I need a few spacers made and every machine shop that I contacted wants around $1000 for the spacers. So I don't know what to do. That's way to much for me. I need a weird bearing that is 28mm x 48mm x 13mm taper roller bearing and no one seams to sell one.

:banghead: Nick

My friends dad owns a custom-light-fixture-making shop and they have a small lathe. I bet it would be substantial enough to do aluminum and perhaps mild steel? I'll check it out.

Also I know I have talked about this already but if I made a little frame jig out of square steep that would just hold the neck tube in place and straight at te right angle for the correct rake and trail would it be possible to chop the neck off te old KX frame and weld it onto the XS? I would make a lot of reinforcing brackets and supports and get my friends dad to mig or even tig it on. Another good thing about swaping necks is that the XS frame has $600 in back fees and it's not in me name while the KX frame is no-op and up to date. So I don't know what to do. Also swaping necks would be a lot cheaper, and I am all about that :thumbsup:

But if it would be to dangerous and risky to swap necks then I guess I would have to go the safe way. :shrug:

Thank you,
Nick

Back