1977 XS360 Restoration

nicola

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Last summer I was gifted a 1977 XS360 with 7400 miles that had been sitting in a garage for who knows how long. I just finished everything and it's running great finally. It looked like someone at one point wanted a bobber or something so most of the wiring harness was cut, the seat pan and rear fender as well, no air boxes etc, blinkers just for show.
full

Personally I think they did a sh*t job so I've spent the last year getting it back to it's former glory. Hasn't all been cosmetic though, didn't run very well either. One of the mixture screws was broken off in the right carb, only ran on 1 cylinder when I got it. I got it running on both but it was leaking oil from a crack in the engine case behind kick starter. While I had the engine on the bench I figured I would rebuild the whole top end since my father in-law has access to a full motorcycle shop. I repainted it twice, designed some decals and had them cut at a local makerspace. The bike runs great now though, off the top of my head this is what I've had to do to get it here

Electrical:
- Completely rebuilt wiring harness with waterproof connectors
- Replaced turn lamps, tail light, license light, instrument cluster
- New hella supertone horn
- New control switches, brake switches
- AGM battery
- New condenser, points, plugs

Engine:
- Top end rebuild, new gaskets, cylinder hone, valve seats etc.
- Fixed oil leak in engine case

Fuel/Exhaust:
- Replaced broken carburetors
- New snorkels, airboxes, filters
- New tailpipes
- Rebuilt petcock

Other:
- Serviced brakes, forks
- Mirrors
- Replaced rear fender
- Replaced seat,
- Lower handlebars
- New paint and decals

Anyways, here's what you've been waiting for, pictures:
full
full
full

Very nice. It's good to see people fixing them rather than breaking them. Are you going to finish a full factory resto. Only looks like the bars and mufflers are left from what I can see.

Thanks for the kind words, don't think I'm going factory with everything, mostly just the style. Finding original mufflers in good shape is really tough, not to mention expensive. It had stock Harley mufflers when I got it, can't even give those things away... The ones I put on there I found on ebay, think they match the stock shape fairly well. I've got the original bars still, put the lower ones on for comfort more than anything. I want to keep it as close to original as I can though, can't tell you how hard it was to not give up searching for replacement carbs and just throw some VMs on there... Gonna repaint it again this winter probably, the rattlecan job doesn't take to spilled gas very well, also think I made the YAMAHA a bit thin on the decals.

Nice job!

I am by no means saying the '77 360 I ride is correct, I am just pointing out some differences in spirit of discovery.

On my bike:
-Front disk brake on my '77 360 (with spokes too)
-Rear turn signals are red
-Mirrors are black (like Mickey Ears)

full

Very clean looking bike! Great to see a good picture like that.

Do you know what sub-model that is? I've got the 2D "Special Value Edition", no electric start, no center stand, and "dependable" front and rear drum brakes.

Red flashers in the rear sound really cool, I think the ones i found were off a 650. Those pipes look a lot longer too, pretty cool. The mirrors were limited by budget currently, may put some black ones on if I can find at a good price. One more thing I noticed that I'm missing is the reflectors on the front fork! Might have to find some of those now... The last major thing that I am missing is the right hand control switches, I wired it so when I do I can just drop it in and everything should function (hopefully).

Looks great.
Hanks ought to be a XS360D, though I don't think there were any differences between the '76 XS360C and '77 D.

Mine still runs on one cylinder occasionally. Not quite sure what's going on.

Back