1978, spoke wheels, disk brakes

camalot400

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
ill make this short and quick im sure that this question has been asked and answered before. mine for a 78with spokes. i'd like disk brakes on the front at least, if not both. does any one know what my options are, where i should start looking for this? preferably bolt on as my engineering and mechanical skills are limited :) i would consider a whole new front end from a readily available other bike too if that is what i have to do. thanks for the help guys!

Attachments

• 2013-03-13 21.57.53.jpg
    2013-03-13 21.57.53.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 227
Why are you ditching the drum? They are highly desirable and more than adequate. I'm just wondering.

well as i am new to this, my friend had given me the suggestion, as he thought that they (drums) were not ideal. i also thought that it would look better on the tracker look that im after and be safer. whats you take on this? you think they are adequate

Drums have plenty of stopping power for the street and entry level racing for a light motorcycle. They tend to overheat quicker than a disc, but you'll need to push them very hard for that to happen. I ride hard and they have performed very well, even during emergency stops.

In my opinion the drums look better; discs spoil the look. That is just me though! I know a lot of people like the way they look. I am also pretty sure drums are quite a bit lighter than discs.

If nothing more you can build your bike and test the brakes out for yourself. If they don't perform to your liking swap them out.

For aluminum I will start with something like a 400 grit sandpaper and follow with an 800 or 1000 grit. After that I use Maguire's mag and aluminum polish with a cheap drill buffer. There are probably better polishes, but I am pleased with the results I get. I have heard good things about Autosol.

Back