1980 Discs on 1978

Scotty4

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
What all is involved in moving my mags with discs from my 1980 XS400 E parts bike to my 1978 XS400 2E? I like the look of the spokes, but man do I want discs for ease of maintenance!

just from looking at the bike it looks like mounting both reservoirs, both calipers, and probably new lines.

My guess is the mag bike with front and back is a 78-E model? The 80 only was a front disc bike. The entire wheel and forks ( or just the lowers) would have to be swapped for the the front. The entire rear wheel and swing arm would have to be done as well as all the 78-E mounting brackets welded to the 78-2E frame. It can be done but it will add a lot of weight and disc setups are a lot more work and maintenance than drum and cable setups.

My guess is the mag bike with front and back is a 78-E model? The 80 only was a front disc bike. The entire wheel and forks ( or just the lowers) would have to be swapped for the the front. The entire rear wheel and swing arm would have to be done as well as all the 78-E mounting brackets welded to the 78-2E frame. It can be done but it will add a lot of weight and disc setups are a lot more work and maintenance than drum and cable setups.
Well you've sold me on maintaining the drums. I think it is a 78E. My dad's friend dropped it off, oh, 15 years ago and it has sat under our deck under a tarp. Planning to cafe it one day or something cool so I guess I will leave it be.

Thanks Chris.

Back