1980 XS400 SG. Possible seized engine

Pull the plugs out and put a little oil in the cylinders. Don't try and kick it hard as this can break the kick shaft case journal in the motor. Try the e-start also. If you pull the left side cover off the motor, the one with four small bolts, you can rotate the motor by hand with a 17mm socket counter clockwise. If you pull the clutch in it will kick over easy because the motor is disengaged. I saw your pics of the bike and noticed that your swing arm bolt was sheered off. You will need to fix this!!

Attachments

• DSC03011.jpg
    DSC03011.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 468
Awesome! Thank you so much for the information. I will try those things tonight and get back to you. Good eye on the sheered bolt!

Try ebay for a good used one as new ones are no longer around. Make sure the sleeve and seals are good. New bushings may also be needed.

Ok,

So I pulled the plugs out and put some penetrating oil in the cylinders. I let this sit for a day. Then I pulled the cover off and rotated the motor by hand. When I spun the bolt counter clockwise, it just un-threaded. I also tried kicking it over and it was still firmly seized. Any suggestions as what my next step should be? Maybe a can of gas and some matches?

It shouldn't have unthreaded if you were going counter-clockwise. It will unthread if you go clockwise though so are you absolutely sure you were going counter clockwise?

What kind of oil did you put in the cylinders? Mix up some paint thinner and ATF in a 50/50 mix and put that in there. Let it sit and slowly try to turn it over by hand.

I wouldn't try kicking it over just due to the fact that the kickstart journals are so common to break, then you'll be upset.

You may have to let it sit for more than a day to work past the rings or any scale that is on the cylinder walls.

I'd be more worried that the threads on the crank are damaged, the bolt can be replaced. Take it out and check to see how the threads are. It is reverse thread.

Okay, sorry I thought you were talking about the threads.

You can try taking a file to the head of the bolt to remove the rounded edges. You may be able to remove enough to fit a slightly smaller standard wrench or ratchet

Update...tried again to rotate the motor by hand and the bolt snapped off in the engine. Needless to say, not off to a good start. Is it expensive to take the engine to a shop and have them redo it? I was hoping to haven it running this fall, but it may become a winter project.

If the motor is that stuck to snap off that bolt I would look for a donor motor. The cost can be a lot to do a rebuild. Parts are not easy or cheap to get. Removing that bolt may also be hard. I would have let the penetrating oil sit in it for a few day before trying to spin the motor and only use a small amount of force to move it:wink2:

Back