1981 xs400 project

ga650

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Glad to see the forum is running. Been lurking on the 650 site and others. I am working on a 1981 400. I have a xs 750 1977 front end I want to bolt on. Wondering if anybody has done that, looking for tapered bearings, stem length looks ok but the bottom bearing ID is larger for the 750 stem. thanks in advance.

I will get some pics up soon. She'll have a 750 tank, front end and modified seat. have the clubman bars on and working on a bracket for a brembo dual caliper setup.

thanks,
david

I have looked at some online bearing shops and the dimensions I have dont return any matches so may have to swap stems.. would rather just use different bearings but.. might not be an option.

I thought about removing some material from the xs400 trees to accomodate the larger 750 forks, still pondering that one.

From what I've read online most people just swap stems. any other ideas ???????

I like the idea of the larger tubes in that I have more options for fork internals with the larger tubes. If I want to make some changes down the road.

Hey Travis,

thats a good idea, I will look at what bearings are available close to what I need and maybe wont have to remove too much from the stem.

worst case I can bolt the 400 front end back on for the time being.

thanks
david

Hey David, I have a 750 front end on my 400. (and a 750 tank) I didn't do the front end swap, but the stem was machined to the 400 width as I'm using 400 bearings. I wouldn't recommend widening the fork clamps in the trees; 750 forks are much bigger than 400 forks. I want to say 37mm vs. 33mm but I'm not sure. That might be too much material to remove from the trees.

or make a billet triple tree! don't they are that hard to do, its getting them attached to the stem. My friend has a street fighter project and has just done this (GPZ1200)

Hi Guys,

Been working alot the last couple of weeks.. not a bad thing tho. Thanks ringo for the info on turning down the 750 stem. I am going to go that direction, new 400 taper bearings are waiting.

I picked up a 750 tank and am trying to source some reasonably priced petcocks. geez those things are pricey. I will need to swap the posts and cups as the 400 tank has posts and the 750 tank has the cups, ugh.. thank you yamaha, ugh.

getting some new rubber on her this week, doing research on what tires are available, looking for something sporty yet vintage.

has anybody installed those kehin carbs that mikes xs is selling..

for tyres i would go with bridgestone BT-45's. good rubber as I've had mine on the pegs at a track giving the RD's a run for the money!!

try ebay for petcocks, the emgo stuff is ok! I have one on my tracker

no info on the kehin carbs I'm afraid

I picked up a 750 tank and am trying to source some reasonably priced petcocks. geez those things are pricey.

Just FYI, I've got a set of petcocks from a 1980 xs850 Special tank I was going to sell online, but I'd give you a deal on if your interested. The xs750 and xs850 are basically the same bike, I would imagine the petcocks would be the same, but I'm not sure.

well an update on the ole project. I have some pics when I got her home and some current ones, doesnt show much progress but have tapered steering stem bearings, finally have the carbs working installed the clubman bars, starter works but have some switch or wiring issue still to be resolved.

I have the 750 tank that I'm working on to install. The 750 front end is in limbo now as I cant get the stem pressed out to turn down to accept the 400 bearings. I have some brembo's with m/c to install once I get the 750 front end ready to go on her, more for look I know the bike doenst need them as the one clamp works just fine.

going to order an agm battery to relocate under the "tail" and some bronze swingarm bearings from mikes.

once I have the 750 tank installed I will get to work on a cafe style seat.

For pipes I'm searching for some 2 into 1 megaphone style, maybe Mac's ??

rear shocks not sure, dont have alot to spend and had read somewhere a guy used sportser rear shocks, not sure which model they come from so need to reserach that.

After she's cobbled together it will be time to take her apart and prep and paint her, wont be able to go big money on the paint but was thinking a silver/blue for the frame.

I'm going to have her out today and will get some current pics, nothing fancy but just to share some pics, everybody likes pics right.. haha

Attachments

• bike 005.jpg
    bike 005.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 298
  • yamaha400 031.jpg
    yamaha400 031.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 322
I did take it for a quick spin down the street with the bars flipped. not too bad. I have the clubman bars on there now and will eventually get some good clip ons. I dont like the way the clubman bar is welded, the tube is flattened then welded onto the crossbar.

Back