'77 XS360 trouble

XS360ND

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I picked up a 77 xs360 from a guy that had not ridden it in about 10 years. I did a little work to his house and swapped it for my labor for a couple hours.
So I bought a new battery and cleaned the carbs, new plugs. The tank was a little rusty so I am sure there is a bunch of crud floating around.
So I kicked and kicked and it almost started once I was about to give up and decided to give it a pull with the suburban and it fired up within 5 feet. I rode it a little bit but when you come to stop it wants to die. I figured it needs a carb tune up. Does Yamaha still sell the carb kits or is there somewhere else to get one?

My kick start doesn't seem to grab until it is about half way down or further, is that adjustable or should I get a new kickstart?

Can I put the electric start on this? What would I need the starter, starter chain and solenoid and a push button?

Sorry for all the questions right off the bat. My 16yr old is excited to ride the new bike.
Kevin.

Attachments

• IMAG0208.jpg
    IMAG0208.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 274
its ok man welcome to the forum!
was there ever a starter or it? look under the carbs, there should be a cover held down with two screws. if not, than no electric start possibilities. and you would also need the tensioner and the cog that goes onto the crankshaft.

Haven't checked in here in a while but I love the 360 questions.

I swapped engines on my 360 and the replacement engine I bought did not have a starter. I was able to swap the starter in with only minor headaches.

The hardest part was removing the flywheel to install that crankshaft cog that volcom mentioned. Yamaha makes a special "removal" tool for it. I don't have that tool... I beat it with a mallet. I'm sure some of the other folks here have better methods for removing it than I used.

The 360 engines all had the ability to be equipped with a starter even though some models did not come with one. The empty starter "compartment" should be there under a chromed plated cover.

Personally I would not bother with an electric starter and spend the money fixing the kick start if you can. Even after I swapped in my electric starter I found myself having to kick it half the time anyway.

Back