77 xs400 cafe build

tyler34t5p6

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a 77 xs400 yesterday. It turned over and all but I could see the head gasket needed replacement and the floats were stuck and well pretty much everything in the carb was stuck!! The bike to my surprise was already converted to kick only so that saved some time and effort. I boiled the carbs and got everything un stuck and ready for a carb rebuild. One question Im a little new to rebuilding but have experience with basic and some complex work on a motorcycle, but my question is I would like to take out the air box/air filter and replace it with a set of pod air filters. I do not know the complexity of the swap however. Do I need to replace the jets and thats all or something else as well? Also any reasonable pod air filters on the market that will work with my stock carbs?

And since everyone always likes pics (including myself) here is the first day progress!

P.S. if someone experienced in carb rebuilds could chime in I would appreciate it. I attached a pic of the floats (brass). & wondering a good way to clean them or even if its possible to clean them?

Any input is very much appreciated !!:thumbsup:

Attachments

• image.pdf
    132.2 KB · Views: 324
  • image (11).pdf
    117.6 KB · Views: 318
  • image (13).pdf
    124.3 KB · Views: 323
  • image (14).pdf
    141.1 KB · Views: 337
  • image (1).pdf
    117.1 KB · Views: 299