80 tank on 77 frame and tail

Petew

XS400 True Believer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
77 tank are so tough to come by and I resurrected a beautiful seat and tail spoiler. What to do? I got creative with the mounts. Here is a mock-up before it goes to paint. The seat bumpers are off so that explains the tank/seat line being off a bit but it won't be when done. I think it looks pretty good...and I have more up my sleeve!

77 tank are so tough to come by and I resurrected a beautiful seat and tail spoiler. What to do? I got creative with the mounts. Here is a mock-up before it goes to paint. The seat bumpers are off so that explains the tank/seat line being off a bit but it won't be when done. I think it looks pretty good...and I have more up my sleeve!

What am I looking at :D show me something ;)

[ATTA
What am I looking at :D show me something ;)
you didn't see the images?
20180626_133344.jpg
20180626_133344.jpg

Shortened the rear frame but installed inserts so it can be put back on. I moved the seat back , moved it up on the front and took the fender off. I am using an LED taillight and directional combo. This was the final fitting before I weld seat hinges back on. Ready for paint, pulling the wheels off tomorrow and new points and condensor. Handlebars and nose fairing ordered.I was just showing that the newer tank can be paired with the older seat without looking weird.

Those are the first images in the thread......so you dont need another tank? I may have a box coming I ordered a tank :laugh2: and not what you think..............
no, I still need another tank. This is tank from the 80G street tracker. The vinegar and the crud from the tank ate up the paint in spots and I decided to try and fix a ding I put in the tank when I dropped it the other day. The color red came out closer to factory than the last time I used it. What bike are you doing a tank on?
I wish I had a powder coater here in my area so I could send out my wheels and such. The plan for this bike is a brown metallic with gold striping,

Pete I do have that blue tank that I think I showed you when you picked up the bikes. It does need some work as it appears someone smacked the top of the filler cap hard one time. but with a little work it might be salvageable. Not 100% sure if it is a 400 tank but the front mounts do fit the mounts on the frame.

I could try to gt some good pictures if you are interested, price is free to you or $180.00 to the guy who has the tank off the 1977!

Shoot me some pictures if you get a minute. I have an alternative but I would be interested in it. I didn't see it.

Back