81 xs400h Special II - Surprise repair - question

weirdaljr

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine had a 1981 XS400h sitting in his garage for past 5 years non running and I am attempting to fix it for him as a surprise. I know he didn't have the keys, but I was able to take the ignition switch off and have one made to get started. My first problem from there is that key didn't match the gas tank or the helmet/seat lock. The key went in all 3 locks, but only seemed to work the ignition. I understand that from the factory that these all were one key, correct? So I assume the ignition switch may have been replaced before as it was in good condition. So I am curious if these are easy to access key codes on the gas cap lock, and/or the helmet lock? I saw a torque screw on the helmet lock, so I assume I can get it off from that to have another key made. I was thinking I may get lucky and it could match the gas cap too. Anyone have the info on that size torque screw that is? I ask as I can only look at the bike when he is not there to try to keep it a surprise.

Also, what about the gas cap? Is there any easy way to get that off other then drilling it or breaking it? Is there any lock code visible on it?

I have downloaded all manuals available on here, but I am not sure which one is best/closet to the xs400h. Any recommendations? Anyone have a exact manual they could share?

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions guys.

I have a 78, so this might not be helpful.

My gas cap is held on by a Phillips head screw hidden/protected by the cap when it is closed. There is an exposed hinge, but it is not removable without removing/modifying the flared end holding in the pin. I do not see any numbers on the lock, but I have not completely disassembled it.

My seat lock is held on by 2 large Phillips head screws, but they are only accessible if the seat is already open. I do not see any numbers on this lock either, but I have not taken it off. The hinges holding on the seat are not exposed unless the seat is flipped open.

One key should operate everything. If it doesn't the ignition was replaced at some point.

I realize this is an older post, but as it went unanswered lets answer it for "Forum Search" purposes... Just trying to contribute =)

All the locks are opened with the original key for the original ignition. The gas tank cap can be changed via the phillips head screw previously mentioned. The under-seat lock can be replaced too but may mean replacing the entire cap if the lock isn't removable in your model.

To get at these (No, this won't work on ignitions don't try you'll eff something up) tank and under-seat locks:

1) get a small, study flathead (real small, but not electronics small) and a safety pin or bobby pin or something similar.
2) bend the tip of your second tool to look like a very small "L"
3) insert flathead into bottom portion of lock (where flat, thick part of key would be) and apply twisting pressure as if turning the key
4)use your second tool to "rake" against the top part of the lock

Eventually all the lock tumblers will move to the "sheer point" at which the lock will aligned and twist open. You'll have to play around with flathead pressure as too much and the tumblers wont budge, but too little will let them drop back into "locked" placement

Ascii Art Example:
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
\ \ /"/u\ \ /"/u\ \ /"/u\ \ /"/u\ \ /"/u\ \ /"/u\ \ /"/u
\ \ / // \ \ / // \ \ / // \ \ / // \ \ / // \ \ / // \ \ / // TUMBLERS SHEERED
/\ V /_,-./\ V /_,-./\ V /_,-./\ V /_,-./\ V /_,-./\ V /_,-./\ V /_,-. (Unlocked)
U \_/-(_/U \_/-(_/U \_/-(_/U \_/-(_/U \_/-(_/U \_/-(_/U \_/-(_/
// // // // // // //
(__) (__) (__) (__) (__) (__) (__)

_
|"|
U | | u U u U u U u U u U u U u U u U u U u
\| |/__ /___\ /___\ /___\ /___\ /___\ /___\ /___\ /___\ /___\ Rake
|_____|__"__|__"__|__"__|__"__|__"__|__"__|__"__|__"__|__"__| (Bobby)
// \\
(_")("_)

U _____ uU _____ uU _____ uU _____ uU _____ u
\| ___"|/\| ___"|/\| ___"|/\| ___"|/\| ___"|/
| _|" | _|" | _|" | _|" | _|" Flathead
| |___ | |___ | |___ | |___ | |___
|_____| |_____| |_____| |_____| |_____|
<< >> << >> << >> << >> << >>
(__) (__)(__) (__)(__) (__)(__) (__)(__) (__)

U u U u U u U u U u U u U u U u U u U u U u U u Bottom
/___\ /___\ /___\ /___\ /___\ /___\ /___\ /___\ /___\ /___\ /___\ /___\ of lock
|__"__|__"__|__"__|__"__|__"__|__"__|__"__|__"__|__"__|__"__|__"__|__"__|

here's my contribution

,)(8)).
(()))())()).
(()"````"::= )
)| _ _ ::= )
(()(o)/ (o) ?(/)
):):c ::.( : /)
(( \ .__. ;,/(/)
) `.___,'/ (/)