82 xs400 worked fine, now no clutch and a leak

Brian43204

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I will start right off and say I know very little about motorcycle repairs

I have an 82 xs400 RJ SECA and it runs fine, no issues. I last rode about 2 weeks ago, today I started it up, let it warm for about 10 minutes and rolled back out of the garage, I kicked it into gear and rolled forward, like I had no clutch.
I also notice it's leaking fluids now.

My question is, what would this be? Does the cable need adjusted, have I busted a seal?
Any help would be appreciated.

just rode it. Nothing special.

I called a local repair place and they said that if the oil hasn't been changed in a while it could gum up in the colder weather (it is winter here) and cause it to stick.

I might suggest getting a repair manual. Read it. It will tell you how to change the oil and adjust the clutch.
It will save you a ton of cash by doing your own maintainance.
Leo

found the leak...

leek.jpg

happy St Davids day

QUOTE=Brian43204;74108]somewhere below, I got so mad I rolled it back into the garage and parked it, then walked away before really getting mad.[/QUOTE]

sounds like my day yesterday.i was painting one of my plastic sidecases.three coats of primer,perfect.three coats of base,perfect.6 coats of clear,and then the sidecase jumped off the coathanger and landed shiny side down on the carpet.was full of carpet pieces and cat hair:banghead::wtf:

The Yamaha Factory Service Manual is about the best one you can find. The Clymer's and Hayne's are just poor copies.
Leo

yea, my Yam one has everything in it that Haynes/Clymer doesn't.
In fact I got another yam one for my new bike...its not an xs

Ok, I checked it today for the leak, I started the bike and it was basically pouring out.
If you put the side stand down, the leak is right above it

Changed the oil today, used some stop leak in there too, the clutch now works fine and the leak seems to have stopped.
Also found out someone rigged the fuse block together with electrical tape...

Back